Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question about VFR then IFR departure

I have actually never done a VFR to IFR flight, so have a question about my next flight:
On Saturday I am planning a flight from North weald (EGSX) to dinard (LFRD). Since the “100%” IFR route makes quite a bit of a detour (>20% overhead), I thought I’d just fly VFR for the 1st portion then climb. It’s also a great opportunity for my (1st timer) passengers to get to see london from a bit closer and the Gatwick overhead transit is always a nice sight.
My route starts VFR, with IFR join at BOGNA and climb to FL100 (but I only care about the VFR bit until just past EGKK), so what will happen / what should I do ? As usual with the zone transit (I have done it many times but only on 100% VFR flights), when getting out of EGKK CTR I expect a handover to another controller.
Should I just get to London Control for an IFR clearance then ?
Should I ask for a clearance before departure ?
I don’t expect asking Gatwick approach for the clearance, as normally they are pretty busy and don’t want to stretch it (already happy they give the transit).

Last time, on my return from scotland to EGSX, I reached my planned TOD point, and after not hearing descent instructions for a couple mins (I was at FL120), I asked and was told to expect descent in (I think) 30miles, which at the time would leave me 10nm to descend to about ground level. I had to request if there was a way could get by BPK at about 2000ft then continue VFR to get a descent. Is that a normal procedure ? I was planning to do my return flight full IFR but still not very familiar in getting into uncontrolled airfields.

Thanks!

What sort of provisional departure clearance (DC) will North Weald give you?

Shoreham gives e.g. “after departure, on track GWC, squawk 1234, climb altitude 5000ft, remain OCAS, next frequency London Control 133.175”.

These are both Class G airports, no radar, so can’t clear you into CAS.

Then you call up LC as soon as you get around to it. They will have already seen your squawk and that automatically causes your tail number to pop up on their screens so they will be expecting your radio call and you get a very rapid service. They may however keep you down OCAS, below the LHR and LGW traffic.

In your case you will be flying OCAS for quite a long distance (50nm?) and at low level to remain OCAS (2400ft or less) so it comes back to my question above. You may need to phone the tower and find out. They are a “proper airfield” and should really be able to do the same as Shoreham.

If NW does nothing for you, then (Plan B) you have to just depart and call up London Info (124.60) and ask them for a “handover to London Control for an IFR clearance”. IME, this can take anywhere from a few mins to 30 mins! If it takes 30 mins you may be halfway to France

Plan C is to telephone London Control before departure and get the provisional DC from them. The number I have is +44 2380 401110. I don’t recall ever using this, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter is right above – but I would tweak it. The best approach to this is to let the unit (ATC or airfield) wherever you are “call ahead” and arrange the squawk for you and let them know you are coming. If you are taking off, the airfield can do that. If you are joining en route, you ask whichever ATC unit you are using at this point, with London Info being the fallback. LARS units are a bit iffy arranging a handover, but in my experience “proper” approach controllers are very helpful, especially since they are handing over traffic to the same unit all day long.

Just make sure that the departure airfield sends the departure message / “Opens the flight plan” for you. That should ensure that the IFR controller down-route has your strip and an expected time for you to turn up. It also prevents the plan from expiring and dropping “out of the system”.

So in your case: In flight, I would simply ask Gatwick “after leaving the zone, request handover to London Control for airways join at BOGNA as filed” and take it from there. Not in the initial call, but as soon as you are in their zone. If they coordinate for you, they will give you a squawk and frequency, and hand you over with the usual “remain outside controlled airspace, contact…”. If not, worst case, you need to go to London Info. With BOGNA being out over the sea, there is no rush.

Biggin Hill

It’s a good point; if already talking to Gatwick, they should be able to do the handover to LC. Never tried it, however.

Farnborough should also do it but I know for a fact that sometimes they won’t; it depends on the workload.

London Info is the “NATS ICAO compliance obligation” unit of last resort

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you all.

Peter, yes, that is how I have been departing for full IFR flights, north Weald are pretty good at it. Will call and see if they have a suggestion.

Cobalt: I like the idea in your new paragraph. In lack of a better one I’ll try that and post feedback

Thanks!

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message