Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RAF Typhoons taking off from Warton Aerodrome 20/09/13

Spotted these two shortly after the VC10 flypast that took place today. One’s from 41 Squadron not sure about the other?

I have frequently encountered the Typhoon (= Eurofighter) when crossing the Manching airbase (ETSI) in Southern Germany which is the production site. I was once intercepted by one but it was an exercise for which they asked my permission on the radio. Quite an experience, they get so close that you think you could shake hands through the window.

The more humiliating experience was near ETSI with a C172 when I was overtaken by a CH53 helicopter. Won’t happen again with my current airplane

I was approaching the ETSI ILS today when a Eurofighter came from behind …. Had to do a 360 and let him pass before i was cleared for the approach.

In the spirit of the thread, over a dozen years ago on an ILS into Zagreb I was RV onto the localiser a fair ways from the threshold and told to keep my speed up. Kept the aircraft clean and trundled in at 140 knots – not quick enough, so increased speed to 170 knots. It was 7-8k hazy VFR so kept the speed up until around 2 miles to threshold, and configured for landing.

As I turned off the active runway, two vintage Warsaw Pact Mig-21s touched down, drag chutes deployed.

In those days there were still no fly Notams further south, and it was the only time I experienced loss of signal on the then high tech Garmin 150 (not notam’d). Zagreb felt a long way from the EU at that time.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message