Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Random Check" at Ostend, EBOS

So far as the UK is concerned the Aviation Security Act deals with this;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/36/contents

and in terms of the general discussion about codes of practice in respect of search and detention this highlights some of the key points I previously made

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117611/pace-code-a-2011.pdf

lenthamen wrote:

I’ve been to EBOS with the family two months ago. The people there were very friendly

Nice pic, especially the aircraft in the background !!

I agree normally everyone is very friendly there.

highflyer wrote:

Not nice is what happened on Sunday: We arrived at the airport quiet early.

We are glad that you arrived early, otherwise we may have been given ‘the treatment’ instead of you, was that you in D reg 172 that was getting the working over ?

All they wanted from us was a quick look inside the aircraft and that was it…I can understand the treatment you received putting you off of the place forever.

Normally its not like that, I think it was some sort of surprise security check exercise.

I know that you probably would not go there again but I am told that over the weekend 22/23 October it is the ‘opening of Apron 3’ and there will be no fees for visiting aircraft,
check airport website for details.

Regarding searching the plane and the need for a warrant: AFAIR police in Belgium do need a warrant for searching a car just like for searching a house. Should be the same for a plne, I reckon. OTOH customs can and do stop cars regularly for “routine searches”. German customs have stopped my famous campervan on the highway twice in one year to search – quite extensively, but of course in vain – for drugs. On one occasion they were correct but no more, on the other they were extremely friendly, almost apologising for doing their job. Belgian customs routinely stop trucks and vans for checking on the use of “red” diesel fuel.

In fact I seem to have heard that, among all kinds of uniform wearers, police have least privileges, and are most strictly monitored. But that may vary a lot between countries.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I had a situation in Le Touquet in 2011 where border control officers searched our plane inside out.
It was on a rainy day and it resulted in a one hour delay.

The officers were friendly but there was this uncomfortable atmosphere. After they were finished (nothing found of course) they departed in their Cessna.

This felt like a random search. I had the impression they just did it to fill their time while waiting for better weather.

I’ve been to EBOS with the family two months ago. The people there were very friendly. The guy that brought us to the plane even offered to take a photo. highflyer has been very unlucky…

Re booking cruises to give birth, there are a few problems. First and foremost, there is only one running under US flag because of the strict rules associated with that (IIRC more than half of the crew has to be American, which is rather bad for the service experience because American kids tend to feel underpaid and overworked quicker than some Filipino or Indonesian staff). It also has to be built in the US, for which there is no suitable experience in the industry. Check the history of the Pride of America if you are interested:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_of_America

Since that ship only goes from/to Hawaii, anyone traveling there must already meet the same immigration criteria as for a landborne holiday in the US.

And then finally due to lack of adequate medical facilities on board (and to avoid liability issues), cruise lines deny boarding to women after a certain stage of pregnancy.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 11 Oct 22:13

Noe wrote:

I meant it in the sense of “are there other people flying that plane

Me and my wife are flying the plane exclusive and we control each other.
Today the German Embassy in Brussels recommended to contact the police at EBOS via mail for an explaination what I did. I very much appreciate the answer.

Berlin, Germany

Peter wrote:

For example in the UK they can’t do random stopping of traffic, so they just stop you and say “Sir, you were swerwing”. That also enables them to check you for alcohol, which is something else they cannot do randomly. Without these “devices” police would not be able to get anything done.

Peter, I dont think so, in the UK the police can stop a vehcile without the need to state their grounds. They cant however search the vehicle other than in circumstanes as previoulsy stated. The officer must be in uniform.

Yes but I don’t think they drop the sprog while in transit on a vessel registered in the desired country

I wonder if there are any lawyers who might know, or might know somebody who does? @Howard?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I very much doubt that is true today otherwise loads of pregnant women from various parts of the world would book themselves on cruises, late in their pregnancy.

There is some significant birth tourism both to the US and France, which has the same law (droit du sol) as the US. Watching Air Algerie flights arrive at CDG quite often made you think you’d strayed into a maternity ward….

34 Posts
Sign in to add your message