Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reckless flying, promoted on YouTube

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, there is one YT guy that is about to pay the price for his pretty reckless “stunt”…

Guy jumps out of Taylorcraft with Parachute

There’s a thread on here elsewhere about it. But he didn’t get done for the aviation bit, but for misleading/deceiving/covering up the feds…

Peter wrote:

The audio is in German so I could not understand it, but by the sound of it is as well that Hazek cannot speak German either

Nice try Peter.

ELLX, Luxembourg

I’ve seen a fair number of YT videos showing crashes and pilot or passenger injuries, and it would take an extremely thick person to believe that putting such a video online isn’t going to draw regulatory attention

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The practical issue is that CAA employees (and ATC staff – closely linked to CAA staff) spend a lot of time watching flying videos

I think that anyone who gets to be a popular flying YouTuber is painting a huge target on their back for their regulator, especially if they are a back country pilot. Many of them seem to have suffered some form of investigation.

Andreas IOM

Silvaire wrote:

Zero tolerance of ATC deviations from written training policy should be in play there, with a certain level of fear in play. Those jobs are not the place for people who act based on whimsy or personal opinion: CAA and particularly ATC staff should be subject to the same level of standardized procedures as airline pilots

Agree. They are professionals, and should act as professionals. The flip side however is that we (GA pilots) usually are not professional participants in aviation. We exercise our freedom to have a fun and interesting hobby/recreational activity/sport/utility activity. This is fundamentally different, and I have seen more GA activity being withered away by people and organizations trying to “professionalize” GA, than I have seen activity being destroyed by “cowboy activity”.

Having watched a few more videos by that guy, and all I can say is that this is very much GA as I know it, and he seems like a OK guy as well. Some episodes in some videos are made much more spectacular than they actually are, but they make no one believe these videos are documentaries either. None of the preparations, planning etc are included. Besides, the videos are out there for the CAAs to take apart and analyze all they want.

That Tarragon with the UL520 looks amazing as well. It’s fully aerobatics also (tested by professional test pilots). At some places (Hungary, Czech republic ? aerobatics can be flown with ULs). Didn’t knew the plane existed before this thread

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

The practical issue is that CAA employees (and ATC staff – closely linked to CAA staff) spend a lot of time watching flying videos and reading pilot forums. So these places are a sort of shop windows onto our activity.

Zero tolerance of ATC deviations from written training policy should be in play there, with a certain level of fear in play. Those jobs are not the place for people who act based on whimsy or personal opinion: CAA and particularly ATC staff should be subject to the same level of standardized procedures as airline pilots, one deviation to get on probation, two and they’re out the door. If there is any indication of an ATC attitude other than being completely supportive, going outside of their highly developed training envelope based on type of plane or pilot qualifications, or weak performance in periodic training they need to be pulled off the line. That’s why they call it highly paid work, not fun and games.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 May 22:04

I had impression ATC tend to watch it live from tower window or radar screen before it goes on YT or EuroGA? usually they don’t make a lot of fuss about anything that keeps 180kts on ILS while showing ModeS (they would MOR anything that fly IFR at 35kts)

I never heard about Tarragon before this post and I have no clue if they can be classed as UL or EXP, ULM, LSA in every registry out there? I imagine average ATC won’t know in/out regarding these?

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 May 20:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The practical issue is that CAA employees (and ATC staff – closely linked to CAA staff) spend a lot of time watching flying videos and reading pilot forums. So these places are a sort of shop windows onto our activity.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

that’s the real meaning of freedom of expression, is it not?

Indeed it is. But freedom of speech isn’t protected everywhere, is it?

That aside, one of the features of living under rule of law as opposed to living under arbitrary authority is that by definition when somebody gets punished for violating the law others don’t join them in paying the price. If that’s not your perception, and fear of getting caught up in widespread retaliation is rational, it’s because you think you’re living under arbitrary authority.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 May 19:27
53 Posts
Sign in to add your message