Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommendations for flying in the US

Aveling wrote:

many (most) FBO’s require renter’s insurance, which is inexpensive because what you are insuring is the owner’s deductible. This is easily obtained by giving a fake address, but none of the well known brokers will insure against a foreign address. I’ve been advised (by a broker) not to use the FBO address – an hotel just down the street is just fine. So this is another dubious area. My own cover, after long discussion with the broker does acknowledge a foreign address in correspondence but nowhere on the policy documents, which have to be sent to a US address.

I think this is actually pretty straightforward and its not a fake address, its an individual’s stated mailing address. In this case the broker wants a US address because he is not licensed to sell insurance outside of the US. Therefore any documents he issues must reference a US mailing address for the customer. He doesn’t care if you actually live there, we don’t have legally registered addresses in the US. Nobody lives anywhere in particular in the legal sense except in the relation to IRS and state tax returns which are not available to others in government or elsewhere. A person’s official residential address is not ‘a thing’ in the US.

Re car insurance, I’ve only ever seen policies sold to cover one car with multiple drivers, not one driver of any car. I’m sure it is possible, but highly unusual in the US.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Mar 16:43

Re car insurance, I’ve only ever seen policies sold to cover one car with multiple drivers, not one driver of any car.

I’m traveling right now, but will try to find the UK insurance company that does/did just that.

PS: the ‘quote’ function doesn’t work on a phone

Silvaire wrote:

A person’s official residential address is not ‘a thing’ in the US.

Same in the UK – other than for tax purposes, and as in the US that part of government keeps the information to itself. Beyond that your address is just somewhere to send stuff so that it might reach you and you can give any address you like.

For some purposes, mostly private business things and not government related, you seem to need to ‘prove’ your address with things like energy bills, but that is an effort to establish that you’re bona fide rather than establishing a matter of public record.

There might be some other parts of government in the UK that I’m not familiar with, e.g. receiving state benefits (which can depend on who you live with) where your address becomes an official thing.

Last Edited by Graham at 16 Mar 19:05
EGLM & EGTN

Most comprehensive UK car insurance I’ve had also give 3rd party cover for any car I’m driving with the owner’s permission. But only in the UK.
The deductible I was responsible for if I damaged the rented aircraft was about the same as what I’d pay to the Group if I damaged our Jodel. Check with FBO.
Some FBO’s offer mountain and backcountry training.
I’ve always stuck to standard airfields. Highest was Gunnison, 7,700. Solo in Pa28-161.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The deductible is typically around $10,000 but a selling point for renter’s insurance is protection against ‘abrogation’, where theoretically the insurance company come after the pilot on grounds of negligence or somesuch. I’ve never heard of this actually happening but as Peter is fond of saying cases like that often don’t reach the public domain. There’s been a trend toward FBO’s requiring renters insurance because they can increase the deductible and reduce their own premiums.

In UK obtaining insurance by deceit, ie using a fake address, is considered a criminal matter. Perhaps not so in US – again, cases don’t seem to reach the public domain. I’d always want to have on file correspondence where I’ve stated my true address and residency.

I’d expect a checkout in any mountainous area to require some appropriate training, say in leaning, hypoxia, etc.. And maybe turns about a point, which I believe UK PPL’s don’t learn. My original mountain rating was in Canada with 3Hrs mountain, valley and glacier flying which I wouldn’t have missed for the world! Foreflight has transformed the situation since then by almost eliminating (it still happens) the risk of turning into the wrong valley.

7700’ solo in a PA-28-161 is about right but the 172SP seems to have much longer legs for another 20HP, perhaps because of injection? It’ll go (solo) 14,500’ and I’ve flown (solo) out of Telluride (9000’) on a temperate day. However it’s noticeable that the trees don’t get smaller for quite a while! With all this it’s a matter of flying the ASI, not any other cues like apparent groundspeed.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

With all this it’s a matter of flying the ASI, not any other cues like apparent groundspeed.

Not to mention not just jamming the mixture full rich, either. Flying a low powered aircraft in high terrain is an exercise in a lot of patience – I did a hundred hours or so of flying out in the western US in an 85 hp Cessna 140, and apart from being picky on the time of day and weather to start a flight, it required being very patient!

There was an interesting video a few years ago of someone trying to take off from a high airport in a Stinson that was fully loaded (and the mixture fully rich), mushing down into the trees (searching for that in YouTube is probably enough to find it).

Last Edited by alioth at 17 Mar 09:29
Andreas IOM

Aveling wrote:

The deductible is typically around $10,000 but a selling point for renter’s insurance is protection against ‘abrogation’, where theoretically the insurance company come after the pilot on grounds of negligence or somesuch. I’ve never heard of this actually happening but as Peter is fond of saying cases like that often don’t reach the public domain.

There was a well-publicised case in Sweden a few years ago. An overloaded PA32 crashed on takeoff. The insurance company went after the renter and won in court. (It was also an illegal charter flight. That was of course incidental to the accident, but it is likely the insurance company would not have bothered otherwise.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Mar 09:31
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A C206 crashed in Kenya the other day; airport elevation 5000ft and the pilot pushed the wrong lever all the way forward, and flooded the engine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

’m traveling right now, but will try to find the UK insurance company that does/did just that.

I cannot find that info anymore, it’s been too long. However, car insurance in the US normally includes occasional drivers who operate the vehicle with the owner’s permission. IOW – I wouldn’t worry about the crew car too much. However, renter’s insurance for the airplane is something most places will insist on you having. There are a few exceptions (the aforementioned PlusOne being one – they have some special deal whereby their umbrella policy covers the deductible), but in almost all cases this is something you’ll need.

I took these five minutes ago, as I arrived at the airport these guys were pitching hard up and rolling into the break, seven or eight of them. Four or so are Yak-50s, once USSR state owned competitors in the World Aerobatic Championships.

We have these as inexpensive individually owned toys. Mr Putin might want to note that anything he makes now might also end up that way.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Mar 19:29
Sign in to add your message