Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Red Panel Light Tube replacement for TB20

Like to replace the red panel light tubes, which are way to expensive. Found this strip for $30.
You can cut this red LED strip in 6 pieces, with each piece 83cm long. It’s 24V, so perfect. What I am unsure about is, whether I can solder this directly to the wires that connect to my red panel light tube, basically just a drop-in replacement.

United States

The red light tubes are powered by AC current coming from a small inverter that is located just over your right knee from the left hand seat.
Thomas.

LFPE

Yes; I can’t find the page in the MM right now but those red lamps are electroluminescent tubes which are driven with AC – I believe quite high frequency, and it does cause interference with avionics sometimes.

So you can’t just put in a strip of LEDs.

What you obviously could do is rip out the current lights and the inverter and install some LED lights, with a suitable dimming circuit.

Whether this is a Major Alteration (Lucius is N-reg) leads to the usual debate, with the usual people taking up the usual positions I would find it astonishing that replacing this lighting feature with one which does the same job could be a Major, but …….

This is an emergency light only so fortunately it does need a day/night setting which is a problem in a different context: replacing the lamps in the rectangular annunciators with LEDs; you can get LEDs of the same form factor but that doesn’t work because on the Night setting they tend to be invisible – due to the 24V LED lamps being multi-chip which don’t light up at all at lower voltages. But this is digressing… I did try this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message