Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Refurbished TAS ? (KTA 870)

Hello,

I intend to install a TAS on my Cessna 182T G1000 (2006).
Many options do exist, but I must consider the fact it was factory wired to receive a KTA 870.
The good thing is that no certification is needed, and no hassle changing all the wires to install another model.
The down side is the price of a new KTA 870, around 20K$, which is much more expansive that other models such as the Avidyne TAS605 or the Garmin GTS800 (8-10K$)
Those will however need EASA certification (major mod, my plane is F-registered) AND big work to change the cables.

My question is: could it be interesting to look for a refurbished KTA 870, or am I going to meet reliability problems ?
Second question: where and at what price ?
Third: what about EASA certification ?

Thanks for your advices !
Alexandre.

The KTA870 has a reputation for working well while being outrageously pricey. Consequently almost nobody installs it, preferring mostly the Avidyne TAS boxes (like mine) or the Garmin version.

In what way is your aircraft prewired for the KTA870?

I can understand the certification issue but if there is an STC for say the Avidyne box for your airframe, that takes care of that. A TAS box has very few connections to the aircraft systems. It has the two antennae (four coax cables, which need to be high quality coax, preferably RG400), it gets heading (X/Y/Z or ARINC429), and it transmits the traffic data, usually via ARINC429, to whatever kit you have which can display it.

I would not buy the KTA870 now. Honeywell have washed their hands of GA avionics about 10 years ago and they are not interested in the sector.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

182 NAVIII could, at that time, receive an optional KTA 870.
If they didn’t, the place was preserved next to the stormscope box, and cables arrive there: many coaxial and what I guess is an ARINC 735A (big round connection).
Coaxial cable should go up and down, where the antennas should be installed.
My part 145 workshop explained that installing a GTS800, for example, would imply:
- changing all the cables
- a major EASA mod

That’s why I was looking at this:
http://www.appleheli.com/featured-parts/avionics-and-instruments/bendix-king-kta-870-traffic-avoidance-system/

And keep on thinking…

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 14 Jun 17:57

Please look at my writeup on the Avidyne system. You will find this in there:

Your avionics shop is probably unaware.

Last Edited by Peter at 14 Jun 19:21
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here’s the story of the installation.
Link

Every cable was set up from the factory: 4 for the upper antenna (double-blade), 1 for the bottom one (single blade).
All the cables were arriving at the antenna place for one end, and to the back of the plane for the other.
The rack was also set: we just had to screw the computer.

At last, the High Density cable (HID) was in place, linked with transponder, GIA’s, audio box.

In a word: a very straightforward installation.

And a very powerful tool, up to 40nm, easily a 20nm range !

Regards
Alexandre.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message