Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restricted areas French south coast

While planning a route along the French south coast from LFMD (Cannes – Mandelieu) to LEAP (Ampuriabrava) I came across some Danger and Restricted areas, on which I would like some advise.
SkyDemon has a green dashed ‘VFR Route’ at mostly 1000 or 1500 ft. As an example, a part of the suggested VFR route is shown by the magenta line in the added screenshot. Here, the route passes through Toulon Restricted Area LFR64A1 (and Danger area LFD54A1) reaching SFC to FL55. According to SkyDemon it is active ‘Every day’, but the French AIP says ‘Possible Activation H24’. Does anyone know whether this area is often active, and if it is possible to get activity information before actually going in the air. The AIP states:
Activity known on : - TOULON APP or announced on RAI 118.825 MHz, – MARSEILLE ACC/INFO, - PROVENCE APP/INFO, - NICE APP/INFO, but for planning purposes it would be good to know up front what to expect. (I have the same question regarding Restricted Areas at Istres: LFR217/1.1, LFR217/1.2, and LFR217/1.3)

Another thing I noticed is that the French AIP has various flavours of stating activity information:
For restricted areas: 1) Possible activation H24, 2) activable H24, 3) H24, 4) Activation by NOTAM. Number 3 and 4 are clear to me, but what are differences between 1 and 2?

Last Edited by FlyingDutchman at 16 Jul 21:05
EHLE, EDLS, Netherlands

The easy way is to navigate these in France is to get the “complement aux carte aero” (e.g. VFR guide) or any SUP AIP (AIP entry seems less up to date), SD does list the right frequency for CAMARGUE(FANNY CTL 127.925) as does the VFR guide

SUP AIP tend to list few numbers to call before operation/during operation, you can try those but I find myself wasting time few times: you will rarely know if a D/R areas are hot for planning purposes before getting in the air and RT the ATSU or just telephone them before departure (also you can have that broadcasted in ATIS which you may get by a telephone call )

I found it is much simpler than it look like in France airspace, you get open doors from ATS even when the map looks crap with warnings and if you communicate intentions FIS do let you know miles away weather you will make it or not (I rarely get approval or statue of D/R area from FIS, usually a simple “no worries, jus carry on” which is a bit fuzzy )

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Jul 22:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

FlyingDutchman wrote:

For restricted areas: 1) Possible activation H24, 2) activable H24, (…) what are differences between 1 and 2?

IMHO, the English dialect spoken by the writer.

ELLX

Good general advice above, BUT:

Do not worry about these ones on that route!!

That whole coastal route is done at low level – 500ft-1500ft max as marked on the chart. The controllers will expect you to follow it and will have you report at some of the various waypoints. You should know what altitudes and where, plus its a good idea to have the frequencies ready to call on a plog too because though they will tell you who to call and the altitude as you go along, its lots of handovers and you need to be ready.Technically/legally you dont need lifejackets but the reality is you are going in the sea should the fan stop – we put them on. It can be busy in summer as there are lots of helicopters buzzing the rich to and from their yachts, though thats usually the Canne-Monaco bit.

I love that whole route, its really stunning along there – enjoy!!

Regards, SD..

PS: to add: the only thing if flying this week is there are a couple of beach air-shows down there I think Cap d Agde – make sure you check NOTAMs for these.

Last Edited by skydriller at 17 Jul 06:47

Toulon R64 and Luc d54 are almost active all daytime, but you can expect to be cleared through D54 as soon as you ask too, you may be asked to avoid some point, not much. For the R64, you will have to proceed through the coastal transit (green line) not higher than 1500ft, maybe 500 in case of IFR arrival over Hyères. After through Marseille zone, same thing.
Departing LFMD you can ask to cross over 6500 direct overhead lfml until coastline, easier and quicker but less nice to see.

LFMD, France

I flew this route on several occasions and would like to add to the information above.
1. Be prepare to give your ETA for each VRP, when you arrive at point A you will be asked for your ETA to point B and at point B to C.
2. Be ready for opposite traffic so keep your eyes wide open.
3. There might be some points where radio communication can be poor.

Enjoy.

I’m based in LFMD and regularly fly to LEAP for maintenance. I always route VFR following DR ET ST TINOT N86 MAMES LEAP. Probably flown the route 12 times and have never had an issue with crossing clearance through the danger areas. I’d usually fly at FL65/FL85 which is never a problem for Toulon either.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies. Last week we had an amazing flight. I recorded most of it and made a video of it.

The way to Empuriabrava was done low via all listed VRP’s at the various levels suggested on the SkyDemon charts (Green VFR Route lines) with a stop in Montpellier. The controllers warned us well for potential traffic and except a blind spot for 5 minutes at the Spanish border to contact Girona, the radio quality along the route was good. Indeed a lot of handovers (and squawk codes) but that was all fine. On our way back we decided to try to fly at FL75 back to Cannes, first along the coast to overhead Marseille and this was no problem. Friendly ATC approved all transits as if there were no restricted areas. Around Camargue we were asked to climb to FL80, and thereafter we were cleared direct Cannes.

(Make sure you watch it in 1080p HD and mind the last (most beautiful) minute of the video)

Last Edited by FlyingDutchman at 27 Jul 20:48
EHLE, EDLS, Netherlands

Thanks for sharing, far impressive to go along flying than with cars/boats !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message