Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restricted areas French south coast

Great video! Well done on the editing striking the right balance between interesting parts of the flights, scenery, added approach plate/STAR into and crystal clear ATC! I like! Keep’em coming!

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB

Lovely video. reckognized a few spots… must do at some stage again.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thank you very muh for this great video !
Excellent pictures and editing.

It makes this transit much more familiar, a great educational tool.

Happy flights !

LFOU, France

Cannes is a lovely airport to fly into and out of. For the sake of contrast, here is a video of my IFR arrival into Cannes.

Last Edited by NigelWebb at 28 Jul 08:04
EGSC Cambridge, United Kingdom

Great video! You’ve been lucky to have such visibility, it’s been very foggy since end of June. Probably one or 2 days been that good.

LFMD, France

Thanks for sharing, far impressive to go along flying than with cars/boats !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies. Last week we had an amazing flight. I recorded most of it and made a video of it.

The way to Empuriabrava was done low via all listed VRP’s at the various levels suggested on the SkyDemon charts (Green VFR Route lines) with a stop in Montpellier. The controllers warned us well for potential traffic and except a blind spot for 5 minutes at the Spanish border to contact Girona, the radio quality along the route was good. Indeed a lot of handovers (and squawk codes) but that was all fine. On our way back we decided to try to fly at FL75 back to Cannes, first along the coast to overhead Marseille and this was no problem. Friendly ATC approved all transits as if there were no restricted areas. Around Camargue we were asked to climb to FL80, and thereafter we were cleared direct Cannes.

(Make sure you watch it in 1080p HD and mind the last (most beautiful) minute of the video)

Last Edited by FlyingDutchman at 27 Jul 20:48
EHLE, EDLS, Netherlands

I’m based in LFMD and regularly fly to LEAP for maintenance. I always route VFR following DR ET ST TINOT N86 MAMES LEAP. Probably flown the route 12 times and have never had an issue with crossing clearance through the danger areas. I’d usually fly at FL65/FL85 which is never a problem for Toulon either.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

I flew this route on several occasions and would like to add to the information above.
1. Be prepare to give your ETA for each VRP, when you arrive at point A you will be asked for your ETA to point B and at point B to C.
2. Be ready for opposite traffic so keep your eyes wide open.
3. There might be some points where radio communication can be poor.

Enjoy.

Toulon R64 and Luc d54 are almost active all daytime, but you can expect to be cleared through D54 as soon as you ask too, you may be asked to avoid some point, not much. For the R64, you will have to proceed through the coastal transit (green line) not higher than 1500ft, maybe 500 in case of IFR arrival over Hyères. After through Marseille zone, same thing.
Departing LFMD you can ask to cross over 6500 direct overhead lfml until coastline, easier and quicker but less nice to see.

LFMD, France
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message