Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rotax engine reliability

For this generation of pilots, it‘s tough. Between about 1980 and 2010, the only Avgas out there was 100LL. Hence „Avgas“ for short. Now that we have different types of Avgas available, one has to specify. But it‘s hard getting used to it…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You are right, should have been more specific.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

And good info on the consequences of operating the engine on AVGAS, like 50 hr instead of 100 hr oil change,

You mean AVGAS 100LL. I don’t know that you need 50 hr oil changes if you run the engine on UL91 or 91/96UL.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Maybe the engine reliability statistics would even be better if all just religiously abide by the operating and maintenance instructions.

Or alternately, and at the risk of going off the Rotax topic, they could expand beyond that and not have to maintain Bing motorcycle carbs nor EFI.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Dec 16:00

As you say LeSving, the manuals are great and very pilot oriented. Great figures to show you in a glance how to operate the engine.

And good info on the consequences of operating the engine on AVGAS, like 50 hr instead of 100 hr oil change, and advice on MOGAS: 1) make sure to use the right season fuel, and 2) consider the various fuel types as regards possible detonation:

Also a good forum to learn from:

https://www.rotax-owner.com/

Kind of funny to see on that forum that every once in a while someone pops up to suggest a different way of operating the engine in some aspect. He then (politely) gets gunned down by the excellent moderator and other experts and told to ‘just follow the manual’ Maybe the engine reliability statistics would even be better if all just religiously abide by the operating and maintenance instructions.

Last Edited by aart at 23 Dec 15:52
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Airborne_Again wrote:

We are aware of that and we’re getting advice from a neigbouring club which already has two of them

I was thinking specifically of the iS, and compared with carb Rotaxes. But, the iS compared with other engines as well of course. Luckily Rotax has excellent manuals. The POH don’t cover anything of how the engine works, it’s all about “do this, do that, don’t do this” and so on

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I mean seriously. It’s easy to be tricked into believing it works exactly as an old fashioned thing, because on the surface it looks much the same.

We are aware of that and we’re getting advice from a neigbouring club which already has two of them. Also, the gliding club at my airfield has a Samburo motorglider with the carburetted version of the engine.

Excellent analysis

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Airborne_Again wrote:

My club just ordered a new Evektor Sportstar RTC with a fuel-injected Rotax 912iS, so in a few years I might have something to report

Just be sure to read the Rotax manual carefully and understand how it works. I mean seriously. It’s easy to be tricked into believing it works exactly as an old fashioned thing, because on the surface it looks much the same.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

aart wrote:

https://www.avweb.com/features/homebuilt-accidents-passing-the-engine-baton/

My club just ordered a new Evektor Sportstar RTC with a fuel-injected Rotax 912iS, so in a few years I might have something to report…

35 Posts
Sign in to add your message