Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scilly Isles EGHE 19 April 2017

Food etc was normal. It was just the hotels.

We did see quite a lot of “chalets” (basically little huts), in various states of disrepair, but they were not listed on the well known sites. It could be that they are listed only with the local tourist office; that is not unusual since the tourist office probably lists them for free, whereas the big sites change big commissions c. 15-20%. Another funny angle is that a lot of “chalet” owners don’t declare it for tax so they like a low profile together with keeping repeat business and on the Scillies you get a lot of repeat business with many tourists booking a year ahead. This tax issue is also a big reason behind the often bizzare practices on airb&b

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The few hotel rooms that are available are massively overpriced at about £250/night and upwards

Holy cow… yea this is massive. They really don’t want any tourists, do they? Or only the ones with a huge wallet? How are the other costs such as meals e.t.c.?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Indeed !! Didn’t pay attention to the pic before.

LFOU, France

We did The above pic is from there.

I thought this was quite funny:

Administrator

Try St Agnes isle next time you go, amazing scenery.

LFOU, France

Just a little update on EGHE.

Justine and I have just been there for a few days for my birthday

It is really worth doing a few days’ stay and do some boat trips to the other islands like Tresco and St Martin’s. Some of it is almost like Greece, except for the different style of buildings and of course the (usually) different temperature. Actually it was baking hot when we were there.

The only problem is a severe lack of accommodation in “mid summer”. The few hotel rooms that are available are massively overpriced at about £250/night and upwards, and you get what would be a £50 room anywhere else. I guess this is because they are trying to limit tourism, which is fair enough, and there is no competition.

Thankfully one can do quite a lot on just a day trip.

Administrator

Lovely movie Peter!

A little video of the flight Shoreham to Scillies

Administrator

We did it last summer – well worth a trip.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Lovely place. Really need to go there at some stage.

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message