Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Security at the GAT at larger airports

Aviathor wrote:

I seems like the practice varies from one airport to another. At Köln for example, there is no security screening at all. You are driven directly from the GAT to your airplane.

At Köln GAT you certainly pass through the GAT security screening. Metal detector and X-Ray.

EGTK Oxford

The sensible way I’ve seen the GA FBO arranged at major airports is to put it on the other side of the airport relative to the airliners. Then any subversive movement of goods across the airport will be obvious, no need for fences between GA and CAT, nor for any security at the GA FBO.

@Aviathor, my more recent GA experiences at the US airports you mention would indicate nothing at those airports has changed.

At Köln GAT you certainly pass through the GAT security screening. Metal detector and X-Ray.

Interesting. I did not. I did not even see the equipment.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 02 Oct 05:06
LFPT, LFPN

Silvaire wrote:

The sensible way I’ve seen the GA FBO arranged at major airports is to put it on the other side of the airport relative to the airliners.

But then I’d much rather go through the minor of hassle (I mean, we’re discussing a procedure that takes less than 60 seconds usually) of being screened and having a little chat with the (mostly bored, but once engaged in a chat, friendly) security staff at the GAT than having to deal with those airport layouts where the GAT is physically far away from the main terminal. With respect to ANY access to facilities, esp. transport but also food etc, this is usually a huge PITA. Airport designers seem to assume that any GA passenger (or private pilot) must be wealthy enough to always arrive and depart by – if not a private driver – taxi. Access to the bus network/trains/car rental drop-off etc? Rarely. There’s also a lack of signage from the main terminal to the GAT (vice versa is ok) because no one assumes anyone might want to walk there. Yet I’ve done the walk at many airports, using my smartphone and Google Maps to find my way.

This might be different in the US – which is much more focused on cars anyway and I believe courtesy cars are available quite often etc.

Aviathor wrote:

Interesting. I did not. I did not even see the equipment.

It’s there.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

But then I’d much rather go through the minor of hassle (I mean, we’re discussing a procedure that takes less than 60 seconds usually) of being screened and having a little chat with the (mostly bored, but once engaged in a chat, friendly) security staff at the GAT than having to deal with those airport layouts where the GAT is physically far away from the main terminal. With respect to ANY access to facilities, esp. transport but also food etc, this is usually a huge PITA

That was my first thought too, when I read that! Being at the wrong side of the airport can be a major hassle.

Personally, I don’t mind the x-ray stuff, unless they decide that they need to confiscate stuff. But that hasn’t happened to me yet.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Typically at major US airports there is a road around the airport connecting all the facilities, so it makes no difference what side of the airport you’re on. Rental cars are available at FBOs, so typically the procedure is park plane, walk to FBO, get rental car keys, and go. I do it with either my puddle jumpers or when traveling by my employers biz jets. Sometimes if somebody at the FBO is feeling particularly nice they’ll drive the car out to the plane and you drive from the ramp.

Peter wrote:

Obviously I am not going to post details but for example it’s trivial to get stuff passed on or off airside, especially after dark.

It’s usually obvious for any pilot. Not to mention that you can bring all the stuff airside in your aircraft!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Evidence based security.

Proportion of lives lost in terrorist incidents caused by passengers: 99%
Proportion of lives lost in incidents caused by suicidal crew: 0.9%
Proportion of lives lost in incidents caused by other crew on a mixed GA/CA airport: <0.1%.

Even the guy with a CPL that took part in the 9/11 attacks boarded as a passenger…

Case closed.

Biggin Hill

The main point is the incentive to airport management to treat the two segments differently. And that points to those who sign the permissions for the airport to operate. Will they go along and how much effort is it to get them to go along?

Frequent travels around Europe

The main point is the incentive to airport management to treat the two segments differently.

Why? Please don’t forget that “GA” is not only self-flying businessmen. The majority of of GA traffic – at least through larger airports – is made up of chartered business jet traffic. My job, my life. Often enough I see names on my passenger list that I want to have security screened, believe me. On some occasions I have gone to the security guys and asked them to check my passengers very carefully. I remember one pasenger from Russia where the contract with his management included a One-Million-Dollar insurance for him for a single flight. I would not have taken that one on board without a very through security check on him and his baggage…

Today I had a typical three-sector day between international airports (in Germany, Italy and Switzerland), thereby going through security three times with passengers and as many times alone. As there are typically no queues at GA security checkpoints, all together took less than five minutes. Nothing was confiscated.

In all the years I am flying commercially (since 1992) I must have passed through these airport security checks 5000 to 10000 times. I never got anything confiscated nor did any of my passengers. Once only I had to empty the contents (=coffee) of a thermos bottle. At a regional airport in the UK (where else, they are the worst in this regard…). That was really bad because I was flying night freight and that coffee was supposed to keep us awake for many hours to come.

Last Edited by what_next at 02 Oct 21:19
EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message