Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Setup GTX VFR Code through GTN

Our GTN remotely controls a GTX330ES. Previous experience suggests that the XPDR has to be setup via the GTN, ot the GTN just overwrites the setting.

It appears to have forgotten the VFR setting..it says 1200.

Please would someone confirm or correct:

• HOME Key/Switch on.
  • Interfaced Equipment
  • External Systems
  • XPDR
  • Installation Settings

Or do I need to do it in the XPDR and FUNC while powering on, then CRSR through the menus to VFR?

EGKB Biggin Hill

The GTN IM says

The GTN can interface to the GTX 327/328/330/330 ES; however, configuration of the panel-mounted GTX 327/328/330/330 ES is not supported. These transponders should be configured per their installation manuals rather than through the GTN.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My experience (though the memory is a little vague) is of setting something (I can’t remember what) in the GTX and watching it “change itself” back immediately. The answer was to change it in the GTN.

But the details escape me.

EGKB Biggin Hill

If you do it via the configuration pages on the device it’s via one of the configuration pages don’t know if that’s any use?

Now retired from forums best wishes

Thank you, I know how to do it in a stand-alone GTX, but I have this annoying half memory of having to do something in the GTN.

I remember trying to set something, it continuously changing itself back, calling the avionics engineer and him saying “ah, yes, that needs changing in the GTN.”

If no-one knows what I am talking about, never mind, it’s probably false memory syndrome, though it is very strong.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

My experience (though the memory is a little vague) is of setting something (I can’t remember what) in the GTX and watching it “change itself” back immediately. The answer was to change it in the GTN.

But the details escape me.

Is your GTN configured correctly? The output data setting for the RS232 connection to a panel-mount GTX should be different from that of a non panel-mount one. The difference is exactly whether the GTN is “controlling” the GTX or not.

The setting should be “Panel GTX w/ TIS #1” if the GTX software is earlier than v7.01 and “Panel GTX w/ TIS+ #1” if the GTX software is v7.01 or later. (Assuming that the GTX is the #1 transponder.)

Disclaimer: All this is taken from the GTN IM. I don’t have any personal experience of configuring GTX transponders with a GTN navigator.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Sep 08:17
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hi Tim,
if the GTX forgets the squawk when switched off i recommend to have the internal memory backup battery checked. Just my 5 cents..

ESG..., Sweden

mcrdriver wrote:

if the GTX forgets the squawk when switched off i recommend to have the internal memory backup battery checked.

That isn’t the problem. It is that when you press VFR it gives 1200.

EGKB Biggin Hill

As far as I know, this could also be an internal battery issue, since the GTX’ have VFR = 1200 as factory setting.

Does it keep other basic settings, like callsign, Mode-S-ID and male/female voice?

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

CharlieRomeo wrote:

Does it keep other basic settings, like callsign, Mode-S-ID and male/female voice?

Yes (though it doesn’t talk; I get enough of that at home.)

EGKB Biggin Hill
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message