Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA airport news 2013

As is complaining!

Forever learning
EGTB

But let’s not be silly. If you don’t understand, ask. Most people here try to be conscious of those whose English is not native but there will always be things that are unclear. It would be no different in any other language. Idiom is endemic in all languages.

EGTK Oxford

Jan

I introduced vet instead of veteran. English is not my first language either, but vet, following the Viet Nam war became a universally accepted American abbreviation for war veteran, with countless cultural references from Hollywood etc

It is not unusual for English speakers by adoption to be a bit heavy on the acronyms, you just need to glance at an Indian newspaper, even the Times of India, will have a heavier use of acronyms – not sure for the sociology or psychology of this, but laziness could be a reason, but am not sure how you would set up a control test for this!

As the forum title implies, I would not be surprised if the majority of forumites here had English as their second, or third/n+1 language.
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I am picking up at Exeter, wherever that is.

EGTK Oxford

Mandatory handling over 2.5T is now finished (a very very good move!)

So you can go for a bigger plane. TBM 900?

United Kingdom

You got me there, Peter! It’s as well you didn’t call it the G/A…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

but typo’s must be forgiven

The grocer’s apostrophe is never forgiven

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Colm, thanks for remaining friendly and positive. Still, I keep on feeling it is the native speakers (and as such I classify you too, though your Irish “drawer” is indeed separate from the UK cupboard) who are too demanding by finding it normal that everybody should master the English language as well as themselves. And ideally there should be no need for explanations, a well written post needs none. Again, this is not a UK-only forum. English is our working language but only a minority of participants have it for their first language. Politeness would respect that.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hi Jan,

I’d like to point out three things in as friendly way as I can.

1. I am not British, nor do I live in or originally come from the UK. Apart from a dislike of Guinness, I’m Irish to the core!

2. Vet is very commonly used in English in place of Veteran. It’s probably more commonly used than the full version. It’s not an obscure reference.

3. Both of my posts had a link in them, which if followed would have instantly made things much clearer for anyone who was confused!

We have a very friendly place here. Let’s try to keep it that way without being too “demanding” ;) You’re correct that we should try to avoid abbreviations and acronyms but some are just part of the language. I’m happy to explain anything in my posts that people don’t understand, even if they are asked in a “demanding” way ;)

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes, but typo’s must be forgiven, especially in moments of heat – whence my grin. I may be demanding but I’m not impossible!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message