Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham (EGKA) to Padova (LIPU) VFR in a PA28

I have a share in a really well run PA28-180 group ‘The Old Bus Group’ based at Shoreham. There are 20 or so members in the group, but this does not usually stop you from getting away for a few days in the plane.

A good friend of mine also has a share in the group. He is half Italian and we have talked for a couple of years about taking IW down to Padova for a few days. The other group members were very accommodating and we were able to get a block of 8 Days at the beginning of August which would comfortably allow us to amble down to Padova.

The planned route was Albert Bray (Port of Entry)- Troyes – Lyon Bron – Cannes – Genova – Padova and Lido if time permitted.

Leg 1 Shoreham – Albert Bray 134nm 1hr5m

I had not been to Albert Bray (LFAQ) before, but have passed overhead quite a few times. We weren’t sure what the weather was going to be like on the first day and Troyes require notice by Friday 1600 for Immigration at weekends so Albert was looking a more flexible option. They require 12hours PPR (24HR at weekends) for customs / immigration which can be emailed.

We routed via Seaford and Abbeville to join lefthand downwind for runway 27.

Small war grave cemetery on approach

Parked up on the grass at Albert

The Airport was very quite. ATC were very helpful and we got a really warm welcome from the ground staff. They have AVGAS available and a small terminal area for a coffee and WC. Perfect for a quick turnaround port of entry,and very reasonable at just 8Euro.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Hi Alex !
I’m going to Padova tomorrow ! Is the Fuel a self service pump ? How do you pay it ? Crédit Card ?

Can’t wait to ready the rest of your story !

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Leg 2. Albert Bray – Troyes 116nm 1Hour

After a short stop to pay the landing fee we were off to Troyes for fuel and lunch. We routed to the east of the Paris TMA, overhead CTL VOR at 3000ft to join long final RW17. Troyes ATC close for an hour over lunch so it’s Air to Air in French. My French is unfortunately fairly basic but I have a good crib sheet, happily there was nobody else about!

Troyes is a great fuel and lunch stop. The AVGAS pump takes a credit card and the price is reasonable (approx 1.85euro). The restaurant is in the main terminal building, they have a full menu with specials and also have good buffet which is reasonable. There is also a vending machine if the restaurant is closed. I’m sure lots of you have been to Troyes. The town is great for an overnight stop, it’s about 10mins in a taxi. There is also a hotel a short walk form the airport. Today was just a lunch stop before the final leg to Lyon Bron.

Troyes Terminal Building

I know @peter likes a food shot!

Troyes Town (from a previous trip, great place for a weekend)

The landing fee at Troyes was just 10euro. France is so reasonable for GA.

Alex

Hi @Romain the fuel pump is on the main apron to the left of the terminal building. The Fire crew filled us up and we paid by credit card in their office it was quick and easy. I’m sorry I can’t remember the price it was cheaper than Lido! Have a great trip.

Alex
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message