Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham (UK) to Weston (Ireland) via Sligo and Kerry (Ireland)

cell phone or something different?

Pentax K3 mostly, and a 17-70 zoom. I still have the K3 but now use a 16-85 zoom. I have recently looked at the Sony A7R-II (you can look up the price of that one ) but am staying put… poor zoom lens options and other issues like a yet another pointless RAW format which nothing I have can read.

Colm and I got amazingly lucky with the wx on that trip.

I pictured myself as Lindburgh, portrayed by genuine WWII aviator James Stewart, peering at the horizon and spotting land ahead. “It’s Dingle Bay” he announces triumphantly. How did he do that? I couldn’t identify from the map alone which of hundreds of bays it might have been, from Scotland to Spain, and I knew where I was!

However, to hit Ireland “somewhere” he had to “only” fly a heading to within plus or minus 5 degrees or so, I think

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ireland is the most wonderful country for this type of touring and you managed to see quite a lot of it!! Lovely pictures – cell phone or something different?

I see you flew Dingle Bay. I went out to sea there once, about 10 miles (as far as I’d dare go in the open Atlantic!) and then turned back inland. I pictured myself as Lindburgh, portrayed by genuine WWII aviator James Stewart, peering at the horizon and spotting land ahead. “It’s Dingle Bay” he announces triumphantly. How did he do that? I couldn’t identify from the map alone which of hundreds of bays it might have been, from Scotland to Spain, and I knew where I was!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Looks like Aer Arran are getting more money to keep the two airfields mentioned above (Inishbofin & Cleggan) closed.

Link

The relevant part of the article is

Minister McHugh has also agreed a four-year contract with Aer Arann for management services at the aerodromes on the Aran Islands and at Cleggan and Inishbofin, Co Galway from until September 30th 2019. The total cost of that contract will be €1.86 million.

While of course that could be read as they are going to open it now and manage it as an open airport, the lack of any such announcements suggest that it’s going to be continued to be managed as it is….as a closed airport.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter thank you for the write up – lived in Dublin for a couple of years, and my 1951 Super Cub is a ‘barn find’ in the Eastern hangar at Weston.

Kenneth Clark’s opening chapter of Civilisation, ‘By the skin of our teeth’, shows Western Civilisation being preserved at Skellig Michael, although the wikipedia link doesn’t mention this. I suspect the Muslim civilisation in Spain (Averroes) played a bigger part in preserving GraecoRoman culture through the dark ages, but the monks at Skellig Michael made better television.

William Flood produced a beautiful aviators’ guide to Ireland which catalogues, and photographed around 400+ airfields and farm strips, a real labour of love, but perhaps 360 of these might not be suitable for a 20GT.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aviators-Guide-Ireland-W-Flood/dp/0957611005

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 20 Sep 08:34
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The web writeup is now under Articles

Administrator

Nice! But what is with all these new, but closed, airports? I thought only the Spanish did that…..

Dublinpilot will explain much better but AFAIK they were built during the boom years, to provide air access to “specially protected communities” (traditional Irish language speaking populations) and then the money ran out, so the terminal buildings were never finished.

Yes – it’s crazy to not allow their use but we live in the “duty of care” world where a liability cannot be disclaimed.

Administrator

The web writeup is here

Administrator

The video works for me.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The video should work… damn youtube… It is marked “public”.

Administrator

Nice! But what is with all these new, but closed, airports? I thought only the Spanish did that…..

It’s such a shame they don’t just throw them open as “use at your own risk, unattended” airports for noncommercial GA. At least all that tarmac would be getting used for something.

Andreas IOM
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message