Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Singles versus Twins

I asked the question so perhaps should explain why and give some background.

I have flown about 20 different types of SEPS and four different multis with most of my time on DA42s and Piper Aztecs. As with most, my introduction to flying and most of my early time was all in SEPs with a lot of hours on a SR22.

I hear the cost argument a lot. However, I always wonder the extent to which people take into account the true cost of ownership. The point was made earlier that twins can be purchased remarkably “cheaply” and not just poor examples – yes they may be old, but are often very well maintained. So the difference in cost compared with a much newer high performance single is considerable. Do people factor into the equation sufficiently just how far this goes to covering the extra costs, especailly if the depreciation on the expensive SEP is included as compared with the twin which has probably done all its depreciating.

I suspect if you havent flown a twin you will not understand as an “experience” the advantages. I find they are a much more stable platform, give a superior ride, on the whole are roomier and more comfortable and usually of better build quality. Moreover, with something like an Aztec, you just never think about the load, full fuel, four adults (it will take six) and some luggage – its not a problem.

Finally, there is the usual discussion about safety. The only view I feel that can be expressed is one engine is fine statistically all the time it doesnt quit. I have had one engine fail in a multi and one almost fail in a SEP (more down to a bit of luck it didnt). With all the training, and even with the chute on a 22, its going to be a PITA, and maybe it is something to do with age, but when you are a long way out over the sea in February there are times you do dwell for a moment that the extra engine is nice. I am still happy in a SEP over the land, I would think twice at night, and probably only make the flight if there was a good reason, and I am not that keen on long sea crossings especially in the winter. I sail a lot and have listened to numerous Maydays and Pans – it does make you realise that whatever you think, if you are down in the sea most of the time any distance from land it ends up being a few hours to get a helicopter to you from the initial call, and then they have to find you. I appreciate, so much depends where you are, impressively I watched a Mayday last year in the Solent and it was 20 minutes from the Mayday to the helicopter being on station although unfortuntately the skipper had already passed away from an injury by then

@Mooney_driver and @aart, thank you for your interesting and well founded perspectives on twins.

LFPT, LFPN

Adam – excellent video, thank you, a beautiful aircraft, not entirely sure about the flaps up call during the landing roll, but perhaps something type specific?

achimha wrote:

Spend a gazillion dollars and then end up with an S-TEC 55X cheap ass rate based autopilot

For starters the 55X came with the plane, it is visible in the shots of the “old” cockpit. I don´t really know what to replace it with in the C414. They actually did not do that much on the avionic side, in fact, I can´t see much apart from two new GTN´s instead of the GNS430/530 combo. The other changes seem to be mostly cosmetic, no surprise there given the occupation of its owner. It was mainly a repaint, redone interior and relatively minor avionic (in comparison).

I really don´t know what your beef with the 55x is. I am very happy with my installation, actually in the configuration that I have it now it is doing exactly what is advertized and doing it well. I wonder if there are differences in the installations for different types which cause the dissatisfaction you and some others display. All of us who fly this plane with the 55X love the integration of GPSS and the capability of altitude preselect directly on the Aspen (which works very well as well as long as you do it right).

And no, it is not the only AP I ever flew with. I´ve had my share of Piper Altimatics, King KFC´s and other GA Ap´s and I can´t really say that the 55X works any less then them, at least in the Mooney. We certainly did not have GPSS on any of those. The test pilot who did the LPV trials came away raving, he had just replaced his 55X in his SR22 with a DCF but said he was very surprised by this installation.

Also far as I know, the 55X is the only recent AP which is available for retrofit at a somewhat affordable cost for many airplanes. DCF 90 is not yet very widely available but if it should become so, for those airplanes who don´t have the STC for the DCF 90 the 55X is the obvious choice in preparation for that too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Fuji_Abound wrote:

not entirely sure about the flaps up call during the landing roll

Sure, especially for Gustavia, every meter counts ;-)

Last Edited by Emmanuel at 30 Sep 18:43
LSGL

Achima wrote:

S-TEC 55X cheap ass rate based autopilot

It’s true. The Stec55x is great since you have a correct turn & bank.
I noticed my PA34 (Stec55X equipped) had problems to capture a localizer course correctly. It always overshot the axis and sometimes I even had to capture by hand (switching from AP to FD).
This is quite doable in VMC but it gave me some chills doing this in solid IMC few times.

After unsuccessful investigations, the Stec55X has been returned to the US a few weeks ago and returned like new, but after the test flight, it was the same.
Rate of turn was awful (3:15 for a 360 left hand and 2:30 for right hand!!) so we decided to send the turn & bank coordinator to a bench so that it will be checked…
Should have it soon…

LSGL

of us who fly this plane with the 55X love the integration of GPSS and the capability of altitude preselect directly on the Aspen (which works very well as well as long as you do it right)

Of course, depending on where you come from, it has great features.

Butto be honest, GPSS and preselect via the PFD is nothing new. This has been available for over 10 years. Again, the verdict depends on where you are coming from.

What’s bad about the S-TEC is the price, and the technology that you get in return for that.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I got into twins because I fancied the extra challenge, and in time I’d like to be able to instruct multi-IR. I think the MEP course and flying is definitely a step up in workload (at least initially) and it is good to stretch your envelope. Personally, I will not do single engine over water either. That’s a personal choice based on ditching possibility / respect for the water around the UK, but then I do instruct single engine at night so not everyone’s idea of rational!

Now retired from forums best wishes

What would that work have cost? I wonder if it was truly economic to do? A nice job of course but…

EGTK Oxford

Long version of the Cessna 414 renovation movie.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message