Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing near Airport Bolzano LIPB

Madonna is brilliant for non advanced skiers like me. Wide slopes and only a very few blue bits which are actually black.

They do go for fashion here

This would spice up the UK GA scene but it would be difficult to be taken seriously

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Final quick and dirty ski video from Madonna di Campiglio. You can see it is a lot better than Corvara – at least on the bits I was on (all blue runs). This one was shot with the Sony FDR-1000V action cam (the one whose battery is always flat when you pull it out of your pocket, thanks to Sony’s ingenious 1978-vintage-VCR-emulation user interface) and without lens correction so there is a bit of distortion.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

You can see it is a lot better than Corvara…

In what sense? Madonna di Campiglio is just Madonna di Campiglio. The landscape is pretty, but halfway through your second day you will have seen every slope. Corvara is part of a huge connected “system” of ski resorts (Dolomiti superski / Sellaronda) where you can spend a whole week without going down the same slope twice. Personally I even prefer Wolkenstein/Selva in Val Gardena which is up valley from Corvara. Or Santa Cristina next to it. The FIS downhill slope ends there. Take the very last cable car in the afternoon/evening up the mountain, wait 15 minutes until the slope is clear of people and you can then experience for 2 1/2 minutes what it must feel like to be Lindsey Vonn – at half the speed she would do it

Last Edited by what_next at 12 Feb 17:32
EDDS - Stuttgart

I am sure you are right W-N, as a good skier who can move around the whole place. I have been to various places where a good skier can go mountain to mountain, all day and more. In Grand Bornand, the owner of the apartment I had told me he skis back to his house – about 10 miles from the slopes to which everybody gets a bus.

Administrator

Lovely pics and report Peter. I’ll have to remember this place for when my daugther starts skiing and I might want to try to convince my wife to start as well.

I think however you are going a bit over the top by saying there are no beginners slopes in either Switzerland or Austria. There are plenty I know in Switzerland, some of them mean you have to take a cable car down at the end of skiing (Davos Parsenn for instance) but in all the alps there is an abundance of easy slopes. Myself I learnt in Arosa and I still love the place, even though some of the slopes will definitly not be suitable for you from what you write. Obersaxen also has plenty of very easy slopes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think however you are going a bit over the top by saying there are no beginners slopes in either Switzerland or Austria.

I don’t think I quite said that.

There are loads of kiddies slopes everywhere, 100m-300m long. You could probably find one on top of the Matterhorn

What is much rarer is an easy (what the French call Green, and everybody else calls Blue but some of those are not Blue) slope which is nice and long so you can enjoy a long run down it. Preferably with decent scenery. I have spoken to loads of skiers about this and they generally say that these places are rare in the Swiss or Austrian Alps, due to the shape of the mountains. One instructor at Zell am See told me he has never seen anything like that there. However, for example, at Grand Bornand there were several km of such, and at Madonna there were 4km+ slopes (those in my videos) plus a longer one which was Blue also but I never got around to it because every time I looked, half of it was in solid IMC. Corvara was halfway, with c. 1km runs.

Anyway this is just from my perspective, and is of no interest to anyone else here who goes skiing. I reckon everybody is totally bored by now

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I reckon everybody is totally bored by now

I watched all 7 minutes of your blue-slope video and did not fall asleep (I never bothered to watch a 7 minute flying video). The scenery makes it worthwhile!

EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter, nice video. If you can ski like that on that sort of run, you need to get an instructor and ski some slightly more challenging stuff.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks Jason; actually I tend to do that. I was there for a week and got one 2×. 2 different ones; the 2nd was really good. €70 for 1.5hrs. There were only two “non-CAT3” days, suitable for movies, hence two movies. I can “get down” steeper stuff (could do reds) but don’t really enjoy it, and I don’t want to ski too fast. If I fall off, it really hurts.

Administrator

Checking in from Peter’s new favourite ski resort :)

Made it to Trento airport, which was CAVOK as usual. Paid 14,4 EUR landing fee. Restaurant on site. I really like this place.

Doing a 180 turn in the valley was scariest as I don’t have mountain flying experience. At some point I think I had 60 degrees bank #-)

One strange thing was that everyone on the way from Poland to Italy had my Eurocontrol/IFR flight plan, but in Italy no-one had it. I needed to tell intentions to all controllers.

LPFR, Poland
Sign in to add your message