Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Software use survey

As part of the work we’re doing looking in to in-flight software, I want to find out a bit more about what people use at the moment. If you have a few minutes could you please complete this survey:

http://www.euroga.org/software/users/in-flight-software-survey

Individual results will not be shared, though some consolidated data may be published.

Thanks.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

David, the ‘qualification level’ drop-down doesn’t work, gives error msg.

Please add some options, if you want my contribution:

-) I always carry recent official paper charts, as a backup for the electronics, and to be on the safe side legally
-) I use some amateur created software
-) I use some data manually collected from various public sources (some very official, some less)
-) I use netbook hardware to run my software / collect my data
-) I use a Linux based O/S
-) My computing device ( s ) has / have an external GPS receiver connected (per USB, in my case)

And you better include my upcoming installation too:
-) my software runs on Arduino/Raspberry/…
-) I use amateur created hardware including stuff from cheapo sources in the Far East

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

David, the ‘qualification level’ drop-down doesn’t work, gives error msg.

Grrr. I thought I’d use someone else’s software for this to make it easier! The dropdown works ok for me. What error message do you get and what browser are you using? Thanks for trying!

Administrator

Thanks for the interest Jan, but it’s not really feasible to create options for every eventuality. And to be honest, one single user doing something esoteric isn’t really the thrust of this. It’s great to hear that you’re developing Pi/Arduino solutions for things and I’d love to read about them – how about a forum post or an article about those?

As for some of the things you’ve raised, I think the existing options cover some of them:

I always carry recent official paper charts, as a backup for the electronics, and to be on the safe side legally

Ok – so tick the last one or two options which say you carry IFR and/or VFR charts.

I use some amateur created software

So that goes in Other.

I use some data manually collected from various public sources (some very official, some less)

We’re not asking about data sources.

I use netbook hardware to run my software / collect my data

In flight? Ok, so that goes in Other too.

I use a Linux based O/S

In flight? Ok, other again! Though you’ve reminded me I did want to add options for those that use Laptops in flight, which I will add.

My computing device ( s ) has / have an external GPS receiver connected (per USB, in my case)

Ok, so tick that box.

my software runs on Arduino/Raspberry/…

Ok, so other again.

Administrator

Problem for me to. Chrome – PPL gives error.

Norman
United Kingdom

Mac OS 10.10.3, Firefox 37.0.2. Selecting ‘PPL’ gives red error msg: ‘required field’. Selecting something else and then going back to PPL doesn’t solve it.

Selecting ‘PPL’ gives red error msg: ‘required field’.

I think maybe it’s because I’d set PPL as the default and said it was a required field. Maybe. Or something.

Anyway, I’ve told it to make it not a required field, and changed the default to Other. See if that works…

I’ve also added laptops of various persuasions as options.

Administrator

David, fair enough, though it isn’t really nice to classify my options as esoteric – you’ll excuse me for finding that a euphemism for queer – and aren’t all of us more or less queer anyway, as private aviators?

I will wait for a generic “other” option, at least, in the “Which of the following do you use?” paragraph to tick.

We’re not asking about data sources.

And that is what I find queer – availability of reliable data at acceptable cost (both very personal factors) seems like a prime concern to me.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Esoteric most certainly isn’t a euphemism for queer.

I’m not really classifying your options at all, but if I were to do so I would say they are not amongst the most common, i.e. there aren’t many people who fly light aircraft utilising information gathered from Arduinos and Raspberry Pi devices. It’s cool and interesting that you do, though, hence the invite to write about it, but I don’t think it would help the survey to include every such possibility.

And that is what I find queer

What I mean is, we’re not asking about where you choose to get your weather info, your NOTAMs, etc, in terms of preflight planning. And where you get your data in-flight, for the vast majority of people, is a function of the software you’re using, which is what we’re asking.

Administrator
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message