Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some info on the DA42

Btw, I wish we had more solid data on those electrically powered oxygen generator units; I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it would replace the cylinder setup.

Just an update on this: I emailed various people who sounded interested but all went quiet as regards altitude capability. I met someone who said he spoke to one importer of these who said he (the importer) was happy to have various units flight tested. My view is that they work OK for a single user, with a plain or oxymiser cannula, but will not work with an O2D2 demand regulator because the concentrator's output pressure more or less tracks the ambient pressure, whereas a demand reg relies on a constant ~20psi to produce the brief and very effective pulses. And you don't really want four of these oxygen concentrators in the back of your plane... the better ones weigh ~10kg.

What is the payload of a DA42 with full TKS, what does full fuel weigh, and what is the range with full fuel?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I haven't actually seen the final figure on the DA42-VI, but I believe empty weight is ~1450 kg w/full TKS; full fuel w/extended tanks 79 gal of Jet A = 242 kg; MTOW is 1900 kg, so around 208 kg left for pax & luggage.

I fly solo or 1 pax on most of my long flights anyway, so payload was never a major deal, but people looking to seat 4 heavies at full fuel, should look at something else than a DA42.

Max range to zero fuel somewhere around 1250nm, but you'd need to throttle back to 45%, and do around 135-140ktas at FL160. A TurtlePac boost the range > 2000nm, but depending on load you're dealing with special flight permits & slightly overweight take-offs.

Interesting.

200kg is not too bad for 2 people.

One man looking at a TB21 (full TKS) reports the payload at 160kg, which is a "2-seater and a few % over MTOW" for any realistic trips.

Can you fly around normally with the TurtlePac? I thought that technically any flight would need a permit, even if within MTOW.

For 4 heavies and full fuel you need to be looking at something very different

Administrator

Useable seats are almost always 2 fewer than fitted. By useable I mean with full fuel. If you want to carry 4 over any distance you really need a 6 seater.

EGTK Oxford

A TB20GT (265kg payload with full tanks) can carry 3 normal sized adults and full fuel.

What costs the payload is a turbo (50kg) and full TKS (50kg).

OTOH most 6-seaters with a decent range cannot carry 4 adults and full fuel, because they are mostly stretched 4-seater hulls.

If you need to carry four with loads of stuff, long range, you are looking at a Cessna 421 or similar... or a TBM.

But then "range" means one thing to one person and another to another. "Long range" to me is 1300nm, which means trips can be done up to ~900nm, with plenty of diversion and headwind options, which is good for UK to most of S. Europe (excluding Greece, though Corfu is technically doable) given the alternate options down there.

If you build a 4-seater plane with a 800nm dry-tanks range then it's easy to carry 4 adults and full fuel, but it's touring utility will be limited because you are looking at ~500nm max.

So the DA42 is pretty good, compared to most.

What happened to their early claims (which I remember distinctly) of a 2000nm range with "extended tanks"? Only a certain Mooney matches that. That is fantastic because Crete is easily reachable from the UK.

Administrator

I'm way behind you chaps in knowledge and experience (leaning a lot from this site), but I do have a mechanical engineering background.

That hose for that job is ridiculous.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Sorry, I'm a bit late in. The 'hose posting' was way back at #8

Why is there a 'posting box' at the bottom of each page - more intuitive to have that positioned just once immediate after the last post!! yes/no?

Can you fly around normally with the TurtlePac?

I'm told that bladder tanks always need a permit, which I'd seek for those infrequent ultra long treks across the Pacific etc.

However, I may be going for a smaller, rigid tank as well, which can be covered by a form 337/8110-3. Even a 25 gal tank (still within MTOW @ solo) would give an additional 350nm range, which would yield a practical range of ~ 1250nm; not bad. (though at that point, we're talking nonstop flights 7-8 hrs long, not everyone's cup of tea...)

At any rate, any kind of custom aux tank solution is a non trivial undertaking in terms of design, construction, installation, operation, legality & safety risks. I definitely don't want to give the impression that adding one is a "standard" thing.

What happened to their early claims (which I remember distinctly) of a 2000nm range with "extended tanks"?

Well,...

For what it's worth, even the Moonites think the Ovation 3 claim of "2400nm w/reserves" is a tad "optimistic".

I didn't put in aircon, ADF or built-in oxygen.

For me it's clear why not to put aircon - it always seems like unnecessary payload - when it's hot (summer on the ground) you can't use it since it has to be off for take off, when you can use it, it's usually not needed - after take off you have enough fresh air to cool down the cockpit.

The issue of built-in oxygen is more blurred to me - what are the disadvantages of built-in oxygen?

And the last one - why not to have ADF? AFAIK it's legaly needed for IFR unless you're located in USA rather than Europe.

The price :) I won't ask any more.

BTW Regarding the payload, my full TKS TB20 has some 220 kg which was until recently enough for wife and two kids. However, the kids are growing and although nor I neither my wife :) are gaining the weight, full tanks trip is not feasible any more.

I though DA42 offered more payload, I was expecting at least 300 kg. OTOH having in mind that my passengers don't like more-then-3-hours flights and JetA1 is widely available, 210 kg doesn't look bad.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message