Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some interesting numbers to ponder on fatalities and injuries in bizjets and turboprops

Lets not forget one of the most important aspects of Business flights compared to air carrier Ops is that the airports are much more challenging when a Biz jet flys in. The crew is often presented with new challenging experiences with some challenging airports. The airliner crew more often than not have been to the same airport day in and day out so are much more familiar with their environment.

Also looking at # of fatalities really means nothing. Because one year you might have a Bizjet with 20 partying passengers go down skewing the numbers. Its how many fatal accident there were in given time period.

KHTO, LHTL

Well the Meridian was easier to fly than the Mirage. Mostly due to much simpler engine management. The Mustang is harder in some ways easier in others. Speed in the terminal area is significantly more difficult to manage but systems and engines are better and more integrated (eg FADEC engines). But the Meridian is not the right comp as a type rating relates to systems and emergencies and a MET has far more difficult single engine handling to manage. Compared to a high end King Air, I would believe the Mustang is much easier when it loses an engine. If you lose and engine at 100ft on departure you do nothing other than keep wings level and climb out at the right speeds and on track.

I am sure Neil can report that is not what happens in a MET or MEP.

EGTK Oxford

First of all engine failures in turbine aeroplanes is rare and I don’t have lots of time on these types, so my experience of engine failure is all in the simulator.

The King Air is much more of a handful in the event of an engine failure on takeoff/initial climb, particularly before the wheels are up. You need to be absolutely on the ball, configure the aircraft correctly and fly the speeds. In the more modern aircraft with 4 blade propellers the autofeather is quite correctly a no-go item. It is easy to see why there are accidents in situations when autofeather is not working, a situation which is invariably encountered on occasions in the simulator.
I have never tried a rudder boost malfunction but that would also make life tricky.

The CJ2 is fairly straightforward, only a small asymmetric effect and bags of performance; the climb on one engine is in the region of 1000 ft/min at max weight, and much more when light.

When everything is working correctly they are both great to fly, speed control in the King Air being easier due to the huge propellers, but the CJ at a light weight and no passengers is some thrill

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

What next

Thanks for the answer.

Ben

It may be type specific on the turboprops. There have been 9 accidents involving the PC12 in the last three years. No injuries on 8, and a fatal Jan 2013 – here

This is on an active fleet of 1,600 or so.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message