Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some of the best flying videos on youtube…

10 Posts

As a contrast, I wanted to share this. Some youtube channels are like hidden gems. Loads of quality, yet very few subscribers.

This Swedish pilot has restored a Gardan Horizon to perfection and occasionally produces videos of extremely high quality. Just watch the latest four of them. So nice. Not that the older ones are much worse…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 May 19:05
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That’s indeed once really nice YouTube channel. Thanks for sharing!

It’s a pity, that the algorithm doesn’t detect these kinds of smaller aviation channels. I do get sometimes smaller UL channels recommended from Germany, but that’s all. The rest mostly has 10.000+ subscribers.

Switzerland

Yes, the algorithm is interesting. I don’t really “promote” my content yet a recent video got 5.5k views in fairly short order (we didn’t crash, jump out or any other ridiculous YouTube antics!!) and it isn’t vastly different anything else.

EGBP, United Kingdom

We did that e.g. here. YT gets very little traffic unless the video goes viral and that needs some active work by the author, on other social media, although it can happen anyway by accident. The really successful tubers spend their whole day pumping their videos on social media: FB, every FB forum, TW, IG, TT, the whole lot.

I have a YT channel with … 85 subscribers But then I just upload them and don’t do any pumping elsewhere. My main stuff is on vimeo which is much higher quality (I pay Vimeo $50/year too) but while half of mankind watches YT like the TV (and gets its entire world view from YT) almost nobody does this with Vimeo.

I reckon the videos in the OP get promoted within the Swedish aeroclub community. These national communities are pretty tight and stuff gets around fast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are only so many youtube videos I can watch. The only GA related I watch regularly these days is Jimmys World.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

We have done the aspect of promoting or not promoting youtube channels here before.

The angle I wanted to point out here is how admiringly much work some people are putting in these flying videos to make them come out like that. Cut, music, composition, everything. Particulary if they don’t push the channel, and thus there is no income connected with it. Anyway, I guess that it is as with everything else… if you have fun doing something, then you don’t ask yourself what the (economical) return is. You just do it. Maybe primarily to create something for yourself to watch years later, as a memory of a particular flight/trip.

And if these people share them with us, so much the better.

Must be many dozens of hours of work for some of these videos…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

I have a YT channel with … 85 subscribers

86 now ;)

EGSU, United Kingdom

And some of us make videos just for ourselves for exactly the reasons @boscomantico says above. My partner/GF and I have a dozen or so videos of various flights we have made that have been seen by maybe only a half dozen or so friends. Nothing has been put on Utube because we want the music we want on the video.

Just got round to watching a few of the videos, and agree, they are good. Thanks for the recommendation.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Thanks for posting, that channel is a great find. I like the cinematic style footage of the flying. Not just a GoPro pointed at someone chatting away while they fly somewhere.

The channel I’ve been watching religiously is Speed Tape Films. The videos are of ferry flying airliners and they go into reasonable detail on how the business works – it’s really interesting.

speed tape films

Last Edited by IO390 at 23 May 10:56
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message