Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

South Nordic and Baltic Country Tour from UK - May 2023

My wife and I spent two weeks in our shared TB20 flying from UK through Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland then several days in the Baltic Countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) and returning via Poland, Germany, Netherlands. Although I have an IR, we were flying to enjoy a holiday and we went where the weather was good, so it was all VFR and relatively short legs.

I’ve written this up as a series articles on my blog, including details of the flights as well as of the places we visited.

It’s good to know this type of trip is still possible, and we visited many places we wouldn’t have ever expected to travel to – some as short notice diversions. There are thankfully many regional airports who continue to welcome light GA without excessive handling/security or other hassles, although some have ruled themselves out by price or reputation – particularly those in capital cities even of small countries. Weeks long closure of Swedish airspace for military exercises closed off our initial planned route home via Visby. Weather prevented us visiting Oslo but was otherwise fairly benign – good since it could have boxed us into the Baltics. Thanks to those forumites who provided advice and help by DM, especially Ivark who we met in Estonia.

Estonia included the unusual (but actually very unremarkable) experience of a remote operated tower (albeit a FISO based in Tallinn speaking to me in Tartu)
Latvia involved Spilve airport, which has seen better days, and involves flying at 1000 feet over the city, river and harbour to land, self announcing and unsupervised.
Lithuania involved Aleksotas Airport at Kaunas which appears to be a thriving pilot training airfield that has seen significant investment.

In addition to having our passports stamped on arrival and departure into Schengen, I also had my first customs inspection at the aircraft.

First leg to Texel and Wilhelmshaven here

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

What a great trip. Where did you get the customs inspection? Intra Schengen would interesting….

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Yes a great trip and very pleased not to have any major issues away from base.

Customs inspection when departing Groningen for UK. We were walking back to the GA office after lunch and there were two uniformed officers also heading that way – I was convinced they were immigration and suggested they were probably coming to check my departure. Only after I enthused about our trip to many other countries did I realise they were customs. Very professional examination, including looking inside my bag and the aircraft, so no big hassle. I had nothing to hide and quite happy with occasional inspections to deter/catch those who are less compliant.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Great trip! Every summer I think about doing Baltic trip and then end up doing something else.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks. The irony is anyone who declares / GAR / plans will never have anything to worry about. Or maybe that’s what they are worrying about ….

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message