Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

South Tyrol and the Veneto

Instructions for the radio calls in Italian are found here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks very much !

Actually… I’m more interested in the aeronautical vocabulary in Italian
If you have a web link for that it would be awesome, as I’m almost fluent in that language too

I will have a look at avioportolano, i even may have an old login for their forums somewhere…

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

I wanted to land in Vicenza which is where my in-laws live but it’s closed now… I was aiming at Thiene for the day I go there :-)))

Yes, Thiene is fine; I used to be a member of the club there. Great little airfield. It has taken all the GA from the former Vicenza airport, so it is indeed quite busy now.
Just mind the lunch break, the exact operational times vary a bit from season to season.
It’s a “radio” only airfield, so there might be an ground operator replying on the radio just as there might not be. They should be Ok with English as long as you speak slowly and clearly.

Also, where can you find good info on strips where one can land a certified aircraft (my understanding is that they don’t necessarily have an ICAO code there) ?

Aside from the “aeroporti” (you will find information about all of these in the AIP) you can land your PA28 on the socalled “aviosuperfici”. These are unlicensed airfields and many of them (but not all) don’t have an ICAO code. The best source of information is the Avioportolano flight guide (google is your friend). If I understand correctly, the 2015/2016 version (which will be out this spring) will also be available in an English version once again.

If you understand any German, start here

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Mar 17:12

Now that’s a pretty cool topic.
Especially because for years i want to go there by plane but never dared VFR with a 161hp PA28 of my club.

I wanted to land in Vicenza which is where my in-laws live but it’s closed now… I was aiming at Thiene for the day I go there :-)))

I’ll probably give it a go 2nd half of April as I will have some free time, so i hope the weather will be good
I’ll probably ask a few questions myself…

Also, where can you find good info on strips where one can land a certified aircraft (my understanding is that they don’t necessarily have an ICAO code there) ?

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

What a scenic arrival! Asiago looks like a really great stop.

(I’ll be going nearby there in June (on the ground) and think I’ll have a look at the airport just for fun. I’ll be on the way to Arabba that day where I’ve been a lot of times, taking various routes up into the Dolomites)

Here’s a nice video showing what winter flying to Asiago is like. At tge end, you can also see the huge hangar they offer for visitors:

Very very nice. I would love to tour Italy. Reports like this is great inspiration for future adventures.
Currently studying for the TK part for the CBIR. It is clear that the IR is very useful on trips like this.
I liked your comment about the windsock inspection from close downwind leg.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

there used to be a great Aviosuperfizie near Chioggia, also with a great restaurant, hopefully still around?

Robert,

not really any aviosuperficie near Chioggia, at least over the last ten years. There is one a bit south of that (towards Ferrara), Aviosuperficie Valle Gaffaro, which is renowned for its simple but nice fish restaurant.

Even more so until about 2008, when they still had that very nice and cute girl serving (that’s when it was a real mekka for sunday pilots in the northeast). But even after, it was still one of my favourite lunch hops from Verona.

Jan, I was referring to Philipp’s route across the Alps that route IFR and airways would put you in oxygen territory. I think its FL150.

Peter did a good job explaining why most but not all IFR routings would require oxygen.

When I land at EDMA tomorrow Ill ask about the DWD.

KHTO, LHTL

Great report – there used to be a great Aviosuperfizie near Chioggia, also with a great restaurant, hopefully still around?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message