Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Storms, storms, rain and more rain

The last 2 or more weeks have been virtually unflyable here and I have been getting increasingly more envious of all the voyages in Dan’s threads of “What did you do at the weekend”
To maintain my sanity I have of course read people’s weekend activities several times but I have just become more envious.
However, I did find the video in the link below on YT. Another proof to me that the ULM scene has a lot to offer the traveller.
You might enjoy it as the rain drops flow down your windows.

[ YT URL fixed – see here ]

France

Thanks for that find Gallois.
I’m afraid it’ll have to wait some for me… we had a fantastic flying day today (no pics since I don’t want to take too much bandwidth with those well known mountains) which saw a Panther, an RV-7A, an RV-7, an RV-14A, and an RV-6.9i flying some meandering tracks across the Alps towards their favorite pizza joint, and back. Admittedly, probably the best day of the week.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

across the Alps towards their favorite pizza joint,

Please tell Dan. What is your “hundred dollar” pizza destination. Years ago I used to fly from Sion to Locarno for Pizza at the airport resturant there, which was nice. And of course to Samedan for Apfel Strudel. But I am way out of date on good Swiss flying and eating destinations.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Luckily it hasn’t changed @Buckerfan, LSZL aka Locarno still holds on that #1 rating for pizza in the Ristorante Aeroporto. But it’s not only the food, they offer a friendly and super efficient ATC, very affordable fees, a sympathetic AIS, 3 different runways (2x grass), and the fabulous landscape.

LSZS Samedan might offer some good Apfelstrudel, but the specialty is the Bündner Nusstorte, which one can even buy directly off the AIS office

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Thanks for sharing, gallois. Completely opposite weather 😀 They let the scenery speak for itself, and I enjoyed it. Shame they ran out of memory before the end.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

LSZS Samedan might offer some good Apfelstrudel, but the specialty is the Bündner Nusstorte, which one can even buy directly off the AIS office

But for 100 Dollars only by car.

EDQH, Germany

Here we get just the odd half-day gap so I am doing local flights to stay current… and getting some great winter low-sun photos. Haven’t done a good sunset yet though

This is normal for the time of the year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

Luckily it hasn’t changed @Buckerfan, LSZL aka Locarno still holds on that #1 rating for pizza in the Ristorante Aeroporto. But it’s not only the food, they offer a friendly and super efficient ATC, very affordable fees, a sympathetic AIS, 3 different runways (2x grass), and the fabulous landscape.

Wow, good old Switzerland. Nothing changes heh. I used to eat pizza at Locarno Airport while I waited to pick up my Cirrus from service there before flying back to base at Sion.. But it has been at least 15 years since I went there. Amazed that it hasn’t changed. Also, now that you mention it, yes, I did used to buy Nusstorte from the AIS office in Samedan. The lady in the tower at Saanen, LSGK, used to give me a slice of excellent chocolate and rum cake when I paid the landing fees.

We are currently in Veysonnaz, trying to find a weather window to get back to the UK. We arrived on Tuesday to find 30cm of snow on the ground (at 1300m), and this morning it is snowing hard again, The ski pistes are going to open tomorrow!! Earlier than they have for many years I think.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Took the BE33 to Gloucester for some more paint work, Ardent do an excellent job. Held off a bit due to weather, the Beechcraft has spherics but painting strikes about 20nm to the west, closer than I care to be.

I was impressed that the local integrated school was MEP training in scattered TSRA on a nicely wet runway 22 (LDA 894M) :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message