Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Strange AP behavior

Kyp
It looks like we have more or less the same problem. I have an Avidyne and you have a Garmin so it does not seem to be the box. what we have in common also is the type of aircraft. My AI indicator got overhauled 6 months ago but it always hangs a bit to the side while the TC seems level.

LSZH

wigglyamp wrote:

A few more questions:
When flying in HDG mode, does the autopilot keep the heading bug directly under the lubber line or is there any offset? The KI525A puts out +/- 15vdc for heading and course error – it could be offset due to a misaligned pickoff.

Does the autopilot keep the wings exactly level or is there any residual bank angle? Possible misaligned attitude gyro or a weak instrument panel anti-vibration mount.

If tracking a VOR when there’s a cross-wind, does the beam bar centre correctly and leave the course pointer slightly offset. I’m trying to see if the crosswind correction in the autopilot is working correctly.

In HDG mode the Heading bug, from what I recall, is about 5~6 degrees off the lubber line but the wings stay level and the ball is also centered.

When there is crosswind the beam bar stays steady offset to the style I described on top of this post, it does not change (the deflection) and the pointer is slightly offset as it should for crosswind correction.

Last Edited by petakas at 05 Sep 10:28
LGMG Megara, Greece

TobiBS wrote:

but is the HSI bar deflected by 2.5 dots during the selftest?

Yes it was.
I also did the calibration on the 150 radial from maintenance page.

Nothing changed.

Anyway, its not a big issue, I can live with it.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Wiggly
In my case the AP does not align the lubber line with the heading bug, it is mostly on the left side of the bug “cage”. The AI is also not 100% level but the TC seems level.

LSZH

I was referring to petekas…….
No, seriously, try it out first !

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

One cannot really see that good on the photo and their is probably parallax error, but is the HSI bar deflected by 2.5 dots during the selftest?

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

@petakas
A few more questions:
When flying in HDG mode, does the autopilot keep the heading bug directly under the lubber line or is there any offset? The KI525A puts out +/- 15vdc for heading and course error – it could be offset due to a misaligned pickoff.

Does the autopilot keep the wings exactly level or is there any residual bank angle? Possible misaligned attitude gyro or a weak instrument panel anti-vibration mount.

If tracking a VOR when there’s a cross-wind, does the beam bar centre correctly and leave the course pointer slightly offset. I’m trying to see if the crosswind correction in the autopilot is working correctly.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Selftest page check.
I first checked this one today, did not get in to the maintenance mode.
Its max one degree out.

LGMG Megara, Greece

@petekas

It should be easy to check the issue as indicated by Wigglyamp.

Check the instrument selftest page when you start the unit. I have found many people just acknowledge the page to continue, while it can be very usefull for troubleshooting.

From the GNS-530 pilot’s guide:

Check all settings, especially OBS for your case. It is real time, so you could rotate the OBS knob to see if it works fine on different values. Similair self test is available on the Garmin GNS, GTN series and Avidyne IFD series.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Petekas: My issue, the parallel offset to the right, is only in NAV mode and only in GPS as nav source

It’s possible that your HSI resolver is not calibrated correctly to the GPS. There is a setting on the MAIN CDI page in the GNS maintenance mode to align the course resolver to the GPS at 150 degrees. I would check this first.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message