Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Strong crosswind landing, and techniques

Another factor that was previously mentioned elsewhere in the forum against the long-slip-method is unporting of the fuel tanks in a low-fuel situation on low-wingers

It’s not just low wing planes as a lot of wing tanks have a single fuel line connected only to their inboard end. Fuel may therefore unport from the fuel tank discharge in a slip, regardless of where the wing and tank is located in relation to the engine. Depending on the fuel tank configuration it is often therefore a good idea to slip away from the wing tank in use.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Apr 14:57

Antonio wrote:

@Yeager, I also do crap approaches sometimes…;) (sorry, could not help it)

I wouldn´t know what a crap approach is – never done one! Obviously never will! Ever! ;-)

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Another factor that was previously mentioned elsewhere in the forum against the long-slip-method is unporting of the fuel tanks in a low-fuel situation on low-wingers, especially if fuel injected (no carburettor bowl). Some aircraft POH/AFM advise to be heeded on it. I seem to recall on some Bonanzas.
Should be a non-issue if selected tank is central (jodel?) or downwind side, or if you only transition crab to slip on very short finals.

@Yeager, I also do crap approaches sometimes…;) (sorry, could not help it)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Emir have you ever had to do that?

Never. I have never tried this, even as a practice. With vortex generators on left side of the tail (part of CD-155 upgrade) DA42 has sufficient rudder authority in both directions to handle 25+ knots of crosswind.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks for that video @hazek, indeed a good refresher.

I like his recommendation to actually do a long (very) low pass in a heavy and gusty x-wind to practice.

As to running out of rudder, twins have the advantage of using differential power. I have only done that once and it was quite effective. On final at Reus LERS I ran out of rudder, did a go-around and tried next time with a bit more power on one engine. To be honest it felt a bit like an experiment but that rwy is so wide that I took the chance.

@Emir have you ever had to do that?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

How true but that applies to all winds and directions in a taildragger and you have to keep your wits about you until you’ve got the aircraft in the hangar. And yes sometimes that means wing walkers.

France

Chaps, at some of the crosswind speeds you’re discussing here the question is not how to land the airplane, but rather: after you’ve landed, now what? I’ve been in a situation once (at LEMG) where I needed wing walkers to get to the tiedown. Cessna 172RG, impossible to taxi in 40-50kt winds.

You are right it I better to land straight into the wind, but it’s not always possible.
The Super Guépard 1.3 VSO is 80km/h.
Because of its lack of inertia you run the risk of it plopping down at that speed and for a kiss landing most of us prefer to use 100km/h to 110km/h.
But landing across a runway into wind is a very good crosswind technique if the runway is wide enough.

France

gallois wrote:

It will be the into wind aileron which will stop you from skidding across the runway or pirrouetting into the wind.

Well, in many ULs, you have a hard time taxying with 20 kts cross wind without weathervaning into the wind. In the Savannah you can fly at 20 kts (barely, but still) Hence a better method is to simply land straight into the wind with zero ground speed I mean seriously.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving we were talking of actual wheels touching down at 25 -30knts not Vr.
As you slow heading down the runway centre line you are adding more into wind aileron. But your wheels are not skidding they are rolling down the centre of the runway. It will be the into wind aileron which will stop you from skidding across the runway or pirrouetting into the wind.
Unless of course you get it wrong.

@Airborne_again I really don’t know how to be any clearer. Demonstrated crosswind is just that, what crosswind could be demonstrated during testing. If they had only very little wind they will put that minus a margin for error. It’s why some aircraft have very low demonstrated crosswind Let’s just say X = Vw x Fb is a quick bit of mental arithmetic to decide whether something is a go or no go without getting the wizzy wheel or calculator out. X × 1 (sin a) = the maximum crab angle you are going to need.
In practice If you use the crab method you don’t need further calculation all you need is to keep the nose on the centre line as you descend. Then decrab at your usual point.
But if you do find you are crabbing at more than Xx1 the wind is greater than you have been given and maybe you will need to think of a go round if you are not totally comfortable with crosswind landings in the aircraft you are flying.

France
184 Posts
Sign in to add your message