Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to embark on the IMCR such that the lessons count towards the CBIR [was: if the IMCR is killed off?]

You have 3 instructor options

• Flight Instructor with Instrument Rating Instructor privileges. Where the instructor only holds an IMC rating. They can only teach for the IMC rating* and only 15 hours can count towards the CBIR.
  • Flight Instructor with Instrument Rating Instructor privileges and the instructor holds an IR. They can teach for the IMC and IR* and more than 15 hours can count towards the CBIR.
  • Instrument Rating Instructor (IRI) Aeroplanes can teach for the IMC and the IR and again more than 15 hours can count towards the CBIR.

*if you look at the instructors rating it will have some letters attached to it. (H) means they can teach for the IR. If its marked (H)IRR means they can only teach for the IMC rating.

There is of course some oddities as you have to pay to add such privileges so some people haven’t. Also where people have lost all IR privileges as they never kept it current for more than 7 years yet their FI rating is still marked at (H)

Yes I get this now, but I wonder if anybody has proven this, because the FTO (final 10hrs) can fairly freely screw you around (and I am awfully familiar with that too).

Also a “full IR FI” is a rare animal on the UK PPL school circuit, not least because it is more £££ to the CAA every year When somebody I know was looking at the IMCR → IR route (he never did the IR in the end) I found it surprisingly nontrivial to extract that little bit of info from some IMCR FIs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, if your FI was full IR FI, then you could claim more than 15 hours… Normal route is you get your 15hrs on IMCR, after the test you get P1 XC in IMC (15hrs+), following by CB-IR at ATO.

EGTR

Does anyone have an update on the currently applied IMCR → CBIR credit?

Post above suggests that if the FI is the “normal IMCR FI” i.e. no IR and no IR authorisation, the max credit is 15hrs, but with the “right FI” it is full 30hrs

This is valuable because almost nobody does the IMCR in 15hrs, especially part-time.

Administrator

Also Peter those who were given BCPL on the back of being a PPL/FI. Where given BCPL(Restricted) and when EASA kicked in they reverted to PPL/FI.’s

Those that had BCPL’s that had passed the CPL TK, passed the CPL GST but for what ever reason never automatically upgraded to a CPL at 700 hours where told be the CAA that to get a CPL that had to pass a CPL skills test and they would then be issued with an UK CPL which they can convert to an EASA CPL. I know of at least two people who did this at fair expense.

Then at the last minute the CAA said anyone with a BCPL(unrestricted) would automatically be issued an EASA CPL. As you can imagine two people were about miffed about this.

Peter wrote:

Those instructors are probably mostly retired now, but – as with any FI who doesn’t have a full valid IR and an IRI – the training they do towards the IMCR or IR(R) won’t count towards the CBIR.

15 hours of it will.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The really funny thing is the way UK PPL/FIs in the 1970s and 1980s were given BCPLs which then became CPLs which then gave them IMCR privileges (shown on a subsequent to-EASA license transfer as IR(R)) and they could train for the IMCR without ever having had any instrument qualification

Those instructors are probably mostly retired now, but – as with any FI who doesn’t have a full valid IR and an IRI – the training they do towards the IMCR or IR(R) won’t count towards the CBIR.

Administrator

And of course our UK CPLs and ATPLs have embedded IMCR privileges still……….

Now retired from forums best wishes

You don’t need to say anything. The CAA is required to issue a UK licence without the applicant justifying the need.

London, United Kingdom

The CAA is reluctant to issue National licences, but if you say you want it to fly Annex 2 (hadn’t realised this is now Annex 1) they will issue them.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message