Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Outside air temperature requirement for VFR?

If I remember correctly, this used to be a requirement for VFR at night. But I cannot seem to find it in NCO anymore (NCO.IDE.A.120). Perhaps this was in our old national regulations (pre JAR/EASA)?

For IFR it is obviously still required (NCO.IDE.A.125).

Last Edited by ErlendV at 01 Nov 13:49
FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

ErlendV wrote:

If I remember correctly, this used to be a requirement for VFR. But I cannot seem to find it in NCO anymore (NCO.IDE.A.120). Perhaps this was in our old national regulations (pre JAR/EASA)?

It was not in the original part-NCO (from 2013), so if you remember that it used to be a requirement, it must have been pre-EASA, i.e. a national requirement in Norway.

As far as I remember an OAT indicator was a requirement in Sweden for night VFR but not for VFR by day. I have a recollection that under the old Swedish national rules the only difference in flight instrumentation requirements between night VFR and IFR was that for the latter you needed double altimeters.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Then we share these memories, @Airborne_again. Used to be pretty much the same regulations in Sweden and Norway.

I just found a reference in an old, norwegian textbook that all VFR flying night should be in accordance to the requirements for IFR instrumentation.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

Obviously OAT is good to know mainly for icing risk, but are there any other reasons to know it?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

The OAT dramatically affects the operating ceiling.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Obviously OAT is good to know mainly for icing risk, but are there any other reasons to know it?

I use it for power setting, but of course in practise a forecast or estimated temperature works well enough.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Useful to know if flying an approach in hilly or mountainous terrain especially if the temperature is dropping, as it can make quite a difference to your true altitude.

France

Don’t ModeS TXP like GTX have OAT built in antenna & displayed?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message