Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TIP-L 2.1.3 "Time Out" - BASA treaty

I wonder if someone can clarify something for regarding TIP-L section 2.1.3 and the 12 month / 24 month thing.

If you have a certificate that was issued by the FAA before the TIP-L went into effect (May 18, 2021), and were living in Europe, then you can do conversions at your leisure.

If, subsequent to May 18, 2021, you get another certificate (different category and class) issued by the FAA, then you must “do” the TIP-L conversion within 12/24 months after that issuance, or else you are forever forbidden to convert it to the EASA version? And if so, what counts as “do”? Applying? Completing?

And one more question. I hear the “ICAO IR to CB-IR conversion route” discussed on here. To be clear, that is the conversion explained in the TIP-L? Or is there some other basis for such a conversion?

KTUS, KAVQ, LRBS, LRPV, Romania

I think @Qalupalik may know, but otherwise this is a really obscure topic. We have other threads here. See “Threads possibly related to this one” below, and here.

The ICAO IR to CB-IR conversion route is not related to the EASA-FAA treaty. It was brought in as a part of the CB IR, to enable an easier conversion from (mainly) FAA papers to EASA IR and thus gradually “drain out” the N-reg community. In this it has been partly successful, especially together with other measures like this and – for those willing to endure this route – this, and of course this from ~ 2010 which was never enforced but widely feared. But the key IR accessibility issues were never solved. The BIR goes a bit further.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message