Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting closer to my FAA IR with training in real IMC

This is still a stub with just a few pictures, but I was able to create an MP3 file of my communication with New York Kennedy Approach the other day (thank you LiveATC!):

http://www.stephan-schwab.com/aviation/2014/04/10/klom-kbed-klom.html

Frequent travels around Europe

Does ATC tell an aircraft to climb to one one eleven thousand?

Yep, that’s the prahseology that was introduced about 7 years ago or so. It used to be only “one one thousand” but there have apparently been several misunderstandings (also because our US friends don’t stop adding bad words like “for” and “to” when climbing and descending ) so they started to add the “normal” counting number for altitudes between 10.000 and 18.000 feet.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Apr 11:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Now it is not anymore getting closer …

I have successfully passed my IFR checkride at Wings Field Philadelphia and am now officially an instrument rated pilot!

Congratulations Stephan! I passed my FAA checkride a couple of weeks ago as well….looking forward to using it in Europe….in the UK (especially from up here in Scotland) it is easier to fly IFR outside controlled airspace than climb to oxygen levels required to get a Eurocontrol flightplan accepted…MEAs are FL105 and above generally….

I presume you also have an N-reg airplane which will allow you to use the rating and build up the 50hrs PIC under the IFR….

Anthony

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

> US friends don’t stop adding bad words like “for” and “to” when climbing and descending

Actually, I was told several times to say “out of 3000 for 5000” instead if anything else when ATC tells me to change altitude. Same during the check-in after takeoff while in a climb. They do like it short.

Another interesting piece of information is that they really stress the importance of PIREPs. One is supposed to even report forecasted WX conditions as a confirmations that they WX indeed has turbulence or ice, etc. “We don’t trust our forecasts that much and like confirmations” was the explanation.

And then of course all the other things to handle more aircraft like visual separation and visual approaches. They do put much, much more emphasis on the pilot being self-responsible for the flight and the condition of the aircraft than in eg. Germany. The oral part of the test was mainly about topics in that area. Plus the repeated advice to always speak up and ask.

During the practical we both were provided with a very good example. It appeared that we were handled by a student controller who was setting us up for a LOC approach at 2000ft. At one time the examiner told me to look out of the windshield and I saw that we were approaching a mountain ridge. Would have been the perfect CFIT scenario. :-(

Actually, I was told several times to say “out of 3000 for 5000” instead if anything else when ATC tells me to change altitude. Same during the check-in after takeoff while in a climb.

But be aware that it’s bad. Don’t do it in Europe.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I get “descend to 2500 feet altitude” all the time…..not “descend 2500…” is that not correct phraseology?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

It appears that the US flavor of ATC is more tailored towards native speakers while the European version isn’t really English but a series of code words. And because in Europe almost everybody is not a native speaker there is great emphasis on “correct” phraseology. US ATC wants to speed things up and relies on pilots thinking and understanding the system they are in – instead of mechanically following a prescribed path. It did show very clearly while I was with Kennedy Approach. It’s a cultural difference.

In the USA you can get done for a VFR departure into OVC002, if there are witnesses etc. However, you get done not for IFR in Class G (which is OK) but for not having filed an IFR flight plan (which, had you done so without having an IR, would not be illegal but would become illegal had you actually flown it).

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. Most of US airspace at non towered airports is class G at the surface with class E at 700 (Airports with an instrument approach) or 1200 AGL (no instrument approaches). Out in the western mountainous areas of the country, there are blocks of class G that go up to a much higher altitude with a charted floor for the Class E or 14500 MSL which ever is lower. IFR flight is permitted in class G without a clearance, but as a practical matter one needs a clearance to enter E and effectively needs this prior to departing into IMC in class G. The FAA provides separation between IFR aircraft at an airport located in class G by limiting approaches and departures to one in one out. It has been ruled that it is careless and reckless for an IFR pilot to depart into IMC in class G without the prior clearance and release to enter class E. The time spent in class G is less than a minute in most cases on departure and only a few minutes on an approach.

As long as the visibility is at or above 1 SM, it is VFR in class G as long as one remains clear of clouds. There is no separation provided between IFR traffic and VFR traffic underneath the ceiling as the one-in one-out only separates IFR participants. Out in the west where there are some areas that have more vertical room before entering class E, IFR is permitted without a clearance, but there are several regulations that make this impractical in most cases and primarily this is just an academic discussion.

KUZA, United States

I get “descend to 2500 feet altitude” all the time…..not “descend 2500…” is that not correct phraseology?

Proper phraseology is “Descend and Maintain Two Thousand.”

Pilots are expected to read back the clearance and to report out of the previous altitude.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message