Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

English rating in France

@jan, it’s a pity you promised to keep your lips sealed. That makes me really curious :)

EHLE

EASA non english (and non french) speaking country Czech republic. ICAO english requested abroad except Slovakia (languages are almost same,we were one country 20years ago)
No local language rating at all. On other hand we have mandatory radio licenses issued by Czech telecom. office (local authority which is assigning frequencies to tv or phone operators etc.). Funny a/b/c test where you are answering how to increase gain of YAGI and calculating current when resistors are connected serial or international medium wave emergency freq….very useful when flying :)

LKLT.LKBE

’alut Fred!

As with so many things in life, a lot seems to depend on the day…I did my test in Bordeaux and just scraped by

I don’t think anyone finds it a walk in the park, and I’ve heard stories of native English speakers being refused a “6”. But perhaps that simply shows you can’t just breeze in all cocky and expect to come out covered in medals without a minimum of preparation.

Anyway, please let us know how you get on tomorrow – good luck!

Last Edited by Jojo at 05 Nov 19:47
Bordeaux

@Jojo : you did not says what level you got and if it was easy or not !

Do I took the test this morning. 8.30 there, nothing happened until 9.05 and they lead us to a room with computers and headsets. There were only 5 persons to take the test at that time (more sessions were to take place later on that day, if only I’d known !).

The test was quite simple. There were 3 parts.
The first part was an actual flight, with several messages to pass on to ATC (which was someone in another room). The only issue with this test is that you have to read out everything they say in order to make sure you understood everything, even the wind. That went well but I find it difficult to read a scenario in French and speak English straight away.
The second part was an emergency situation : no paper, just a long sentence to read and translate quickly into English. Went amazingly well too.
The last part is 10 recordings, featuring ATC or a French plane (with a French pilot trying to speak English ;-)) in Jersey, and we had to fill up the empty words in the test. The last part of that last part is an ATIS. It was a very long one, with several things to copy and write down, but it was ok.

I’m saying that it went well, because it did, but I was really nervous, much more than I have ever been in a plane while doing the radio !

I ended up with 18 out of 20 to each part, and that gave me a Level 6. I’m quite proud of it now ;-)

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

Sounds like I would NOT have passed that test, even though I’m a native English speaker! I wouldn’t have been able to read the French part of the instructions (well maybe just enough to get the general idea).

I can well imagine the translating adding an extra pressure that having the whole thing in English might not.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

@FredPilote Chapeau! Yeah, well done, you can be proud of that!

Bordeaux

Well done @FredPilote.

I passed the VFR test the same place you did a couple of years ago and was impressed by the thoroughness of the examiners. From what I hear about how the test is conducted in other countries, and my own experience at Athis-Mons, I get the impression that the French CAA have higher standards and 6 may be more difficult to obtain here than elsewhere.

I am going back for the IFR language test next Thursday.

LFPT, LFPN

@Aviathor Good luck then, I’m sure the IFR test is much tougher than the VFR one.

I’m glad I got the test, now I can officially fly abroad ! I hope I’ll be able to join some of you especially in Germany, Czech Republic and Holland next year. This is where I want to go !

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

Is there really a different ELP for IFR and VFR in France? I’ve never heard of anything like that! Everywhere else it’s a test of the ability to understand and to be understood in English and flight rules were irrelevant.

Certainly those in Ireland and those in the UK aren’t restricted to any particular flight rules.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 06 Nov 23:23
EIWT Weston, Ireland

A37-10: Proficiency in the English language used for radiotelephony communicatin
Whereas to prevent accidents, ICAO introduced language provisions to ensure that air traffic
personnel and pilots are proficient in conducting and comprehending radiotelephony communications in
the English language, including requirements that the English language shall be available on request at all
stations on the ground serving designated airports and routes used by international air services;

Whereas in accordance with Article 39 b) of the Convention any person holding a licence not
satisfying in full the conditions laid down in the international standard relating to the class of licence or
certificate held, shall have endorsed on or attached to the licence all the particulars in which this person
does not satisfy such conditions; and
Whereas pursuant to Article 40 of the Convention no personnel having certificates or licences so
endorsed shall participate in international navigation, except with the permission of the State or States
whose territory is entered:

Some more interesting stuiff here

Sign in to add your message