Welcome to our forums

English rating in France

@dublinpilot I believe this is in Part-FCL. There are 3 types of exams:
FCL 055D – initial IFR exam
FCL 055 IFR – revalidation IFR
FCL 055 VFR – Initial and revalidation VFR

LFPT, LFPN

Thanks Aviathor.

That’s really interesting. Looking at the FCL AMC it looks like those items would have been part of the test that I did. I wonder if the Irish and British Authorities simply have one test, and combine all elements. Certainly my licence is only noted as:
Language Proficiency:
English Level 6 validity unlimited.

There is no comment about VFR or IFR.

I understand that UK issued licences didn’t even mention the level in the past (not sure if that’s the case anymore).

Did the French ones mention VFR only on it?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

My license is issued by Norway. There is no mention of flight rules. I suppose I will need to provide proof of English proficiency at the time of my EASA IR skill test.

LFPT, LFPN

No mention of VFR/IFR on the Dutch/EASA license either. Just LPE level XX

EHLE

I suppose I will need to provide proof of English proficiency at the time of my EASA IR skill test.

I didn’t have ELP until the JAA IR test. It was discovered only then, and the CAA examiner pulled out another form to fill in for that. The FE has the authority to sign off your Level 6 right there and then.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do not believe that is the case in France. At least not if you want to obtain level 6. Only certain examination centers can deliver level 6.

I also believe that the examiner must be certificated to deliver ELP.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 07 Nov 22:03
LFPT, LFPN

All UK Flight and RTF Examiners can assess at Level 6, they cannot assess any other level as it is not a test as such, it is simply confirmation from an English speaker that the candidate can communicate at an “expert” level in English. Lower levels than 6 require some expertise to assess and therefore, can only be assessed at an approved language school, there are only 3 such schools in the UK, probably due to the cost of approval and the fact that most pilots only speak English.

The only reference to IFR and VFR is in relation to the EASA Subject 90 Comms theoretical exam; it has always been a mystery to me why your ability to see out of the window has any bearing on you ability to communicate by radio!

The only reference to IFR and VFR is in relation to the EASA Subject 90 Comms theoretical exam; it has always been a mystery to me why your ability to see out of the window has any bearing on you ability to communicate by radio!

Because you have to know a more extensive phraseology for IFR?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That shouldn’t affect the ELP – which is after all about the ability to communicate precisely the things not covered strictly procedurally.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Because you have to know a more extensive phraseology for IFR?

Actually less phraseology for IFR.

When was the last time you said more than Radar, AB-CDE, good whatever, FL123, direct upper warlingham under IFR?

In fact they need to dictate you very long clearances at high speed, which never happens in real life, just to make the exam worth the effort.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message