Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The EIR - beginning to end

I think for E-IR, only sections 1,2 and 3 of the test (actual exercises) would apply (pages 22-24). The whole document is worth reading though, if you are thinking about taking the test.

Here is also a text from the school I used for mine (and which I recommend)
http://www.rateoneaviation.com/eir/

Wel I started out my practical course with Air Stadtlohn at EDLS! It’s a 20 minutes flight from my home base Teuge EHTE. And because allmost all in aviation told me to go straight for the CB-IR I’m doing that right now, may switch if I do not turn out to be that talented. It’s quite intimidating stuff, I have to say. The first three hours ‘under the hood’ are flown, we’re doing holdings, turns, stalls and the whole lot right now. If all goes well we’ll do an ILS approach next time. I’m content with my choice for air stadtlohn, it’s a friendly, easy going flight school and they take their time for me. I’m doing the required 30 hrs for the CB-IR with them on my Mooney and then I’ll move to Rotterdam for the last 10 hours, again on the Mooney. I can probably do the whole thing on the Mooner, and that’s good! I’ve coordinated this with Rotterdan, and they are more than happy to have me for the last 10 hours leading up to the exam (…or as many more hours that are required). An other flightschool closer by was my first choice, but they wanted me to buy 20 hrs instruction from them on their own planes, I declined and gave Rotterdam a call.

Currently I have stil five theory subjects to pass, hopefully I can scratch Radio Nav from my list tomorrow. Slow and steady, but I’m getting there…

EHTE, Netherlands

Good luck, you’ll soon find out that one of the most satisfying things in aviation is realizing you have done a “perfect” approach + procedure, down to minimas (if possible in IMC; under hood / fooglles is much easier than real IMC I find. I even notice a difference when going from foggles VFR to foggles IMC).
You might even feel a slight disappointment when the cloud base is high and you are VFR through most of the approach!.

I’d recommend to really put the effort to do all closely spaced, although I doubt you can do more than 3-4h a day (while In the PPL I did sometimes 5-6h days), as it’s much more demanding.

Thanks! Concerning the actual flying I’m trying to keep up the pace with one session a week, it’s good fun!

EHTE, Netherlands

Ideally you want to do more than one flight per week.

One flight per week is how nearly all UK PPL students take a year and 10k GBP to do it.

Instrument flight is mostly about currency, especially currency on type.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d love to do more. It’s all I can muster (time-wise) at the moment.

EHTE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

Wel I started out my practical course with Air Stadtlohn at EDLS! It’s a 20 minutes flight from my home base Teuge EHTE.

How does that work out in practice? Are you flying first to Stadtlohn to pickup your instructor?
The IFR season is coming up, with grey, rainy days and low cloudbase. Perfect for training!

IR training is hard. No doubt about that. Check how I was struggling 4 years ago: https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/178-ifr-training

That’s exactly how it works, I pick up Henk we do a briefing and start IFR training, de-brief and I fly home again. I read your thread! Sometimes I catch my self flying a radial outbound, when it needs to be flown inbound. The instructor simply asked, how long wil it take you to get to the VOR? Duh… I find it hard to visualise the radials and holding procedures and to translate what I see on the gauges. I guess some flightsim time could help me with that…

EHTE, Netherlands

I trained my ADF / VOR holding with this little app (spent a couple of enjoyable hours)
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/radio-navigation-simulator/id449118865?mt=8

You can hide the plane / breadcrumps and do all navigation and then look after at what you did. “Mastered” ADF using (although with HSI it’s fairly easy: basically if you think the track diamond (if you have glass) “pushes” the head away (and conversely “pulls the tail”), then it gets really easy to visualize what to do and nail your tracking.

Never go flying for instrument training unless you understand what needs to be done, and how, on the ground. Otherwise, you are wasting your money.

So even a cheap sim is worth it. I used FS2000 in my days, with a £10 F16 joystick

This is not likely to be supported by the school so you just do it at home the night before.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message