Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Charlie wrote:

I would be really interested to hear from people how much training they required for the CBIR, particularly for a first-time pass, and their level of experience beforehand.

The reason I’m asking is I’m trying to work out out how many days I need to take off work to do it (I’ve already done the TK)

So, if anyone has done it, would love to know:

Did you do SEP or MEP?
How many hours’ dual instruction (Sim and aircraft) did it take?
Level of IFR experience prior to commencing the course?
Where did you do it?
Thank you

hey

I “fly” flight simulator on my pc for the last 15 years, on the most professionnal way I can.
So my IFR knowledge before commencing was pretty good.

Theoretically speaking, I assume I spent about 60 hours studying and practicing question banks to obtain the 7 certificates.

For the practical course :
I am a private pilot who wanted to obtain the IR because I love this aspect of flight since my young age, procedurals etc, and I want to raise my dispatch rate and be able to takeoff and land with low ceilings (maritime entries are common at my place, and I found myself more than once diverting because the airfield was IFR only with a 600fts ceiling).
I do not destine myself to be a commercial pilot, nor flying twins (at least not in the near future).

I needed to be able to insert this formation in my daily professionnal agenda.

I chose to do it via a nearby aeroclub (my aeroclub does not have IR aircraft at the moment).
The formation is under supervision of an ATO at 1h flight from this aeroclub.
In this configuration, you have to do a minimum of 10h of instruction directly with the ATO.

This aeroclub does not have approved simulator, and have 2 ifr equipped aircraft.
I did :
- 19 flights, for a total of 29,5 hours, with my aeroclub instructor
- 2 sessions of 3 days each within the ATO, with 10,5 hours of instruction, and the test (1,7 hour).

LFBZ, France

I’m starting to think the full IR would have been a better option. As mentioned, I’ve covered over 80% of the full course anyway so I don’t think learning a little more instrumentation would have been that much harder.
I could then have done it here and not have to travel to the UK for the TK exams. Similarly with the flying I could have done the full 50 hours here at a full IR ATO instead of 30 here and 10 in the UK or Spain at a CBIR ATO with travel costs, hotel costs, time away from family, more expensive skills test UK.
If I could get credit for the work I’ve put in from my local ATO I would almost change over.

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

If I could get credit for the work I’ve put in from my local ATO I would almost change over.

I would have thought the rules allowed you to do, and that it is just a matter of the other ATO agreeing, have you looked if it’s possible?

Noe wrote:

Same thing with the Excellent http://kilodelta.aero/ (who I used for my MEP / MEIR upgrade) who would come to the airfield I picked, at the times I picked, in the plane I picked.

Totally agree. Kevin is brilliant.

EGSX North Weald, United Kingdom

Not as yet, I only came up with the idea last night but I might pursue it.

EIMH, Ireland

Worth nothing he will do the ATO part, so no need to finish somewhere else either.

I did my IR in 35 hours … but that was PLUS 35 hours in the Sim, which was really much harder than the flying part. Especially since it was one of those old Frasca things … it was really killing me. And then I had to do a practical test in the Sim too, with an LBA examiner …“and now intecept radial … and now enter the hold at … and now fly a 80/260 procedure turn”. The flight test in the airplane was a joke compared to THAT.

We seem to have two potentially similar threads: CBIR theory and CBIR training. I can’t merge them because they overlap in time. Please keep them separate, informative and on-topic.

Zuutroy’s dilemma

As mentioned, I’ve covered over 80% of the full course anyway so I don’t think learning a little more instrumentation would have been that much harder.
I could then have done it here and not have to travel to the UK for the TK exams. Similarly with the flying I could have done the full 50 hours here at a full IR ATO instead of 30 here and 10 in the UK or Spain at a CBIR ATO with travel costs, hotel costs, time away from family, more expensive skills test UK.

illustrates the #1 problem with the IR in Europe: like most qualifications in Europe, it ties people to approved organisations to which customers have to travel, and which are often reluctant to do anything slightly unusual like, ahem, training in the customer’s plane… The CB IR shifts the issues around a bit but otherwise doesn’t address them. The one good thing about it is the ICAO IR to EASA IR conversion route!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When booking CAA exams, is it possible to book multiple exams for one session? I’m looking through the sessions at the moment and on any given day it just gives me the option of 11:00 or 16:00. When I try to book exams it will only let me pencil one exam into each session, but surely you can do more than two half hour exams in a day?!

EIMH, Ireland

Are you looking at a single date (certain time slots could be “sold out”) or multiple dates?
I booked 3 and 4 on single day, 2 days ago. Couldn’t book more on a day

Sign in to add your message