Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

An extended video showcasing how I brief, fly and debrief an IFR flight; flying cross country to complete an RNAV, before diverting to fly and land on an ILS approach as I look to prepare for the CB-IR.

In this flight I looked to perfect my skills, but it was with some difficulty due to a strong 25 knot wind from the NNE making for some interesting flying weather on this warm day. The weather however was so good, I wished I was flying to France.

The intentions were to fly to Lydd, to complete an RNAV approach before making a diversion to Southend. The whole flight would be flown on sole reference to instruments and I would try and improve the areas that I self-studied on my previous flights.

For those looking for some brief literature: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/ifr-sortie-1/

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

An early morning IFR, and with good reason. A warm front extended from an area of low pressure situated almost 2,500 miles away, with some horrendous weather that would herald the start of Summer.

This was my first IMC flight of 2019, and my first solo IMC flight in over a year. We departed Stapleford at 0730z with an arrival just over 1 and half hours later into Bournemouth where the weather was becoming very interesting.

Looking at the weather before leaving home, I had a very good window of opportunity to get into Bournemouth and exercise the privileges of my IMC rating but at the same time remaining in the realms of my confidence and abilities.

Read more: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/early-morning-ifr/

EGSG, United Kingdom

It’s quite a beautiful thing where you fly out of the airport environment, realise the weather isn’t exactly ideal for VFR flight and utilising an IMC rating, the dream of soaring above the clouds quickly becomes a reality.

With a situation where the cloud cover extends beyond the visible horizon – a fantastically equipped IFR aircraft with decent cruise speeds allows a fantastic opportunity to get above the weather quite quickly and enjoy some much needed Summer warmth.

Read more: https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/?p=6095

EGSG, United Kingdom

CBIR course provider suggestion

I want to start the CBIR theory course and need an ATO that can provide this. I live in Cyprus (and my license is also issued by Cyprus authority), but there is only one ATO in Cyprus providing IR and none providing CBIR. So I would prefer a provider from another EASA country which gives opportunities for distance learning and minimum of classroom hours. Could you give me any recommendations?
Another question is about CBIR and IR difference concerning HPA (high performance) rating. As I understood, CBIR missed some theory parts that were needed for HPA rating. I plan to fly a turboprop in a few years. Can I pass an additional exam for HPA when I need it, or it’s more practical to do the full IR course from the beginning?

LCPH, Cyprus

You can get the HPA separately in an ATO. Few hours theory only and a flight. Easy.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I did mine at the Luxembourg Flight Training Academy, but for me it was mostly for proximity. The theory is done nearly entirely remotely with computer-based training. I don’t remember exactly, but I think I had only one or two classroom courses. The course is the Jeppesen/Boeing one, which I didn’t find of good pedagogical quality, nor adapted to private pilots / small planes. However, it got me through, mostly by banging the question bank, I must say.

ELLX

I did the CBIR (with Institut Mermoz in french) and am currently in the process of an HPA course (with CAT Europe). You will just need to do an additional “HPA IR Add-on” module in the HPA that bridges the supposed gap between the “full” IR theory and the CBIR theory. In my course, it’s a 197 page PDF which I found mildly interesting to completely daft. The latter pertaining to course content about “what is a transponder” including mode A, mode C, codes 7500 to 7700 etc., stall warning devices on light airplanes (yes the buzzer type), or the all time favourite EFIS course. At least they based that one off the A320 which I found interesting. Other parts are more interesting, like radio altimeters, TCAS, TAWS or even the MLS (microwave landing system), which is only explained in past tense though.

So, i would definitely not recommend doing the full IR now only because you want to fly a HPA later.

Snoopy wrote:

You can get the HPA separately in an ATO. Few hours theory only and a flight.

Are you sure? I was told the HPA was purely a theory course. Then of course you need an HPA class rating (if you want to fly a TBM) or a type rating, which will include an exam flight. But these aren’t any different whether you already have another HPA type rating or not.

I was told the HPA was purely a theory course

AFAIK, yes. Previous thread on HPA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rwy20 wrote:

I was told the HPA was purely a theory course.

I stand corrected, no flight required (there are some training outfits that include one). As long as the course provider is a licensed ATO it is fine, whether it’s 100% online theory or not.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 23 Aug 19:18
always learning
LO__, Austria

Any of you have recommendations for training providers for the
EASA IR (A) theoretical part (distance learning)?

CAT, Bristol, etc..?

Can the theory and practical training be done at two different ATOs (eg one UK, the other german)?

Thank you!

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message