Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR conversion to EASA IR (CB IR)

As Noe says why would a private pilot want a Class 1 medical? You certainly don’t need one for an IR or any other ratings on a Private licence.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Med.A.045 says post 5 years for class one you need to satisfy initial requirements I.e go to a AeMC rather than an AME I believe – there is one privately run near Gatwick, not sure if there are others in the U.K. yet

Now retired from forums best wishes

One reason for a non commercial Class 1 is that it can be downgraded to a 2, which may be a useful negotiating position. Whereas a 2 downgrades to nothing.

Also in the past the only ways to have a European IR were a class 2 with the class 1 audiogram OR a class 1. So if you could not pass the audiogram then a class 1 was your only option, and there were ways to get a class 1 eg via the icao CPL or ATPL route. This AFAIK was fixed only very recently, and you can have the IR on a class 2 plus an instructor signoff that you can hear etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also in the past the only ways to have a European IR were a class 2 with the class 1 audiogram OR a class 1. So if you could not pass the audiogram then a class 1 was your only option, and there were ways to get a class 1 eg via the icao CPL or ATPL route.

So if your hearing is not 100% it was easier to get the higher standard Class 1 than the Class 2 plus Audiogram? Seems counter intuitive but nothing surprises me in aviation.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Conversion of ICAO IR to EASA IR?

Hello gents,

Let’s assume the following scenario of a licence holders who has:

1. UK PPL(A), SEP, MEP, NVFR
  2. UK ME-IR
  3. UK ATPL Theory (which is valid for EASA)
  4. EASA CPL(A)
  5. Total flight time: 230h total, 130h PIC, aprox 60h instrument flying instruction (in SIM and aeroplanes)

In this situation, what’s the easiest way to obtain an ME-IR on the EASA CPL(A) making use of the UK ME-IR and instrument flight experience? Is it as easy as going to an EASA ATO, training as required (potentially no training required at all?) and doing the ME-IR skills test? Are there minimum EASA ATO training requirements?

EDDW, Germany

How many hours of PIC Cross-country under IFR rules (not necesserily means in IMC)?
If 50+, then just CB/IR for the instrument rating (at an ATO). If less, then it depends how much less, it might be cheaper to just accrue them while flying in the UK.
Not sure about the ME.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

How many hours of PIC Cross-country under IFR rules (not necesserily means in IMC)?

I just checked and it’s a measly 4 h (the 2 h of the ME-IR skills test which count as PIC for me, and a 2 h IFR flight I did the other day…).
Most of my IFR time was dual, in training…

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 18 Mar 13:24
EDDW, Germany

I found this guidance in the UK CAA website for IR applicants who hold a (non-UK) ICAO IR. I assume that these will be the same requirements for EASA IR applicants who hold an ICAO IR, including UK IR.

Under the “Multi engine, single pilot instrument ratings” heading, each of the three paragraphs is confusing to me:

1. I can credit 35h flown under IFR “AND” IMC? So they must have been in IMC? These 35h are dual, PIC or both?
  2. 10h dual instrument time in an aeroplane, can I use the dual instrument time I have already completed in the past at an EASA ATO, or must this be “new” dual time? Can this time be single engine? It doesn’t say it must be a multi engine aeroplane.
  3. 25h dual instrument time, of which 15h in a multi engine aeroplane. Again, can I use the training I have already done in the past?

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Under the “Multi engine, single pilot instrument ratings” heading, each of the three paragraphs is confusing to me:

1. I can credit 35h flown under IFR “AND” IMC? So they must have been in IMC? These 35h are dual, PIC or both?
2. 10h dual instrument time in an aeroplane, can I use the dual instrument time I have already completed in the past at an EASA ATO, or must this be “new” dual time? Can this time be single engine? It doesn’t say it must be a multi engine aeroplane.
3. 25h dual instrument time, of which 15h in a multi engine aeroplane. Again, can I use the training I have already done in the past?

I think ATO needs to be consulted as I’m not sure how the xAA is going to interpret all these hours – would they accept the hours as-is, or would they say “no, sorry, these were training hours done in the UK, which is not in the EU now”. They might just refuse it, hence was my question earlier – if you have 50hrs PIC XC IFR then you can answer theory questions asked by the examiner (there is a relatively small book for this) and complete the skills test to get your rating under the “3rd country ICAO IR” rule.
If you plan to continue flying in the UK for the next ~50 hours, then just do it with XPDR set to 2000 (IFR OCAS) and log your time as IFR. :)
Otherwise – talk to someone like @Snoopy, he might answer or will connect you with an ATO in the EU.

EGTR

IMO you do need to talk to someone at an EU ATO or @Snoopy. I don’t recognise much of the requirements you quote above. For instance the IR time can be in SEP but you would have to take 2 flight tests one the SEP/IR and the second an MEP/IR but if you already have your MEP this 2nd would be more like and MEP revalidation under IR conditions. Its mainly assymetric IFR they are looking at.
I also don’t recall being required to be in actual IMC as long as I flew IFR. The weather was what it was although I did have several IMC approaches to minima.

I held an MEP but did my CB/IR in SEP. Once I passed the SEP/IR I took the MEP/IR the following day. Because I had done the IR many years before, I was assessed as needing 10hrs SEP/IR flying time and 4 hours in an MEP simulator which also served as reinforcement for my difference training G1000 and PBN.
I am not sure if this is of any help as I did it all in France with a French/EASA licence. But I understand there is not much difference for an FAA conversion. I would imagine from what you have written you would need a lot less hours before flight tests.

France
Sign in to add your message