Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mountain ratings, Altiports, Altisurfaces, and the Ratings

No need to keep 6months rolling landing currency on every altiport with MOU rating (“qualification montagne”), it’s valid for 24 months and can be revalidated after that with 6 landings in pas 24 months

Individual site checkout (“qualification de site”) are only valid for 6months and for a specific place

Validity: A mountain rating shall be valid for a period of 24 months.Revalidation: For revalidation of a mountain rating, the applicant shall:have completed at least 6 mountain landings in the past 24 months; or pass a proficiency check. The proficiency check shall comply with the requirements in (c).Renewal. If the rating has lapsed, the applicant shall comply with the requirement in (e)(2)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Very nice @AeroPlus! That’s the way to live: Ski and fly!

Although, I doubt that obtaining a mountain wheel license is so easy. I did some research on the MOU(A) wheels rating, and it was a lot more effort than let’s say doing a few site authorizations (e.g. Courchevel, Alpe d’Huez, and Meribel). You can do one site authorization in just a single day, but for the full rating, it costs way more (approx 15 flying hours), plus theoretical training. Once you obtain your MOU(A) rating, you still need to land at 6 altiports within the last 24 months. Sure, that is not so much, but how many altiports are available in Europe? Except for the French Alps, one in the French Pyrenees, and a few in the western Italian Alps, not so much. Even the mountain airfields in the eastern Italian Alps, don’t require a mountain rating and therefore don’t count for your altiport landings.

Another thing: Your CAA must accept and add your MOU(A) rating into your license. German CAA’s doesn’t want to do that for example. So you need at least a French, Italian or Swiss EASA-license, how are willing to add this MOU(A) wheels rating into your license.

Last Edited by Frans at 26 Feb 14:31
Switzerland

It is maybe not that complicated @Frans as the French mountain instructors indeed require you to do about 20 hours of training (including the exam) but that seems to be way more than needed for the EASA MOU “on wheels” training as such. And airfields like Albertville might qualify as one of the 6 landings in 36 months instead of 24 months. See discussion here.

EDLE, Netherlands

Frans wrote:

German CAA’s doesn’t want to do that for example.

How can they “not want” to add an EASA rating!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The MOU examiner Thomas is actually German so I personally see no problem with adding a MOU rating to any EASA PPL license.

EDLE, Netherlands

Airborne_Again wrote:

How can they “not want” to add an EASA rating!?
Had contact with my former CAA office for this. They said they can’t add the MOU(A) rating. Initially, they even didn’t know for what the rating was good for. I know someone in southern Germany, how had the same problem and he finally flagged out his license to France, in order to obtain the MOU(A) rating into his license. Not sure what LBA would say about it, but as long as you don’t have a CPL/ATPL and/or IR-rating, licenses are managed by local CAA’s and not by the national LBA in Germany.
Last Edited by Frans at 26 Feb 16:27
Switzerland

I have asked Thomas for clarity but take for example my SEP(SEA) class rating which I got in Poland of all places and keep up-to-date in Como, Italy. You can’t do training towards a SEP(SEA) rating anymore in The Netherlands. It has given no problems at all to get this on my license or to keep it updated.

EDLE, Netherlands

MOU is EASA FLC.815 and if the EASA rules are followed it is no problem to get it on your license according to the examiner Thomas. It is valid for 24 months and you either do another Profcheck of land at 6 airfields for which you would need a mountain rating such as Courchevel or even Albertville.

EASA regs: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Easy_Access_Rules_for_Part-FCL-Aug20.pdf#page865

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 26 Feb 18:29
EDLE, Netherlands

It would surprise me if landings at Albertville, which is not an altiport, counted towards MOU currency. It does also not require a MOU rating to land there.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Feb 18:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Well … it is even used for mountain training as flat as the airfield might be. It is mentioned as a mountain flying airfield. So, in my view, I do a few landings at Albertville on my way to and/or from Courchevel if I miss any of the 6 flights as I more or less pass over that field on my way to Courchevel anyways and voila! The requirement I. The EASA regulations do not specify that you have to land at altiports specifically, but: complete at least six landings, on a surface designated as requiring a mountain rating, in the preceding two 2 years;

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 26 Feb 19:07
EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message