Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mental/medication issues with regards to a PPL [UK/JAA/CAA specific]

Hi,

I’m considering going for my PPL in the UK at some point in the future. I’ve had some training when I was a teenager (I’m 23 now) but not flown in that respect for a good 8 years or so. I didn’t have any diagnosed issues at that point however since then I have been diagnosed with a few problems – namely depression (for which I take 10mg Citalopram/Celexa), Asperger’s (which isn’t medicated because it can’t be), ADHD (for which I take 60mg Strattera) and dyspraxia (again, can’t be medicated). I’ve been on these medications for a long time and I’m very settled on them – they pose no issues and minimise the effects of the problems I take them for.

Are these barriers to gaining a medical certificate? I didn’t get to the point of having one when I was previously training because I only did a few hours (certainly under 20). I’m not aiming for a ATPL or anything like that, it’s purely for pleasure only. Possibly instrument/multi rating at some point but that’s depending on finances/time.

I currently hold a full driving licence and the relevant authorities in the UK, the DVLA know about these issues and granted me a medically unrestricted licence with no stipulations due to these issues so I would hope it’s similar for a PPL? I have no medical restrictions on driving and in fact drive for a living. I’m otherwise healthy barring carrying more than a little extra weight which is being lost at the moment. Epilepsy runs in my family but I have no history of it myself, but I know that does disqualify me unfortunately if and when it appears.

Thank you!

Hi Sabian, I’m not an AME or even a Medical Doctor, however have a look at the medical standards document on the CAA website (for a Class 2 medical):

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Psychiatry/Psychiatry-guidance-material-GM/#PsychDis

I would then suggest you call one of the designated AMEs listed on the same site and discuss it with them….

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=21

And good luck with it all….I hope you succeed!

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 03 Apr 14:34
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

There are AMEs here… @Flyin’Dutch’ used to post here; maybe he will drop in. He does both UK CAA and FAA medicals.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi, depression is not disqualifying, provided it is treated, and there is an acceptable report from a psychiatrist for the AME. Often there is a period of several weeks after treatment is started before you can be certified as fit, due to the risk of worsening symptoms initially with treatment. Citalopram is one of only a few Ads which are allowed.
There is less guidance available on ADHD, so it is v likely that this too will be down to the opinion of a psychiatrist.

Andrew (UK CAA AME)

egbw

Thanks very much for the answers – I did ask this on Reddit and the general consensus was “absolutely no way will you get a medical certificate” – apparently ADHD is an automatic disqualification in the US!

Afsag – thank you for your reply, that does make me feel much better. I love flying, and while I had no diagnosed issues when I previously undertook training I had no issues with the actual flying. Learning that amount of information for 7 exams may be an issue though! But we shall see, I suppose. I’m medicated now, I wasn’t then so fingers crossed.

Much appreciated all, thank you.

Check this out.

Depends on what aircraft you want to fly too.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201397%20APR16.pdf

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Having just heard a presentation by the CAA’s chief medical officer at the PPL/IR meeting on the weekend, it seems they are very keen to get people flying who are on medication for these things and stable. Post-Germanwings, they think that the idea that a managed approach to things like depression means that pilots are more likely to disclose and treat if they do not believe they will be automatically grounded for life.

EGTK Oxford

The biggest issue IMHO is that you cannot speak confidentially to an AME. In the UK for sure, he is required to report anything to the CAA. My AME confirmed this (a few years ago) when I asked him about something concerning an initial medical for somebody I know who I thought had a possible issue (he was fine actually). But he went to a different AME from the one I spoke to

As a result, just about the whole pilot population, including airline pilots, is “working the system” especially, I am told by German pilots, in Germany where the CAA has no power to see your medical records.

In the FAA system, you can speak to an AME confidentially (or US AOPA’s resident AME) and they will tell you exactly what you are required to disclose to the FAA. They also have a good system where they list a dozen or two self grounding conditions and if you don’t tick any of those and don’t take any banned medication, the situation is a lot simpler.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message