Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

I have used a Xbox game pack that is just 1€ the first month, I could test it because I wasn’t very sure of it, I have multiple returns that it is still a kind of beta.
Actually I am a bit disappointed because indeed, apart from everything that is advertised (landscapes, visual quality), it is really not up to the point.
Planes are not finished, with a very variable quality; visual quality is always good, but most of button are not working. On old planes, E.G., VOR indicator only moves 10° by 10°, engine behaviour is not really correct, as well as plane behaviour in most plane. Joystick handling is not very accurate, and you can’t change gain so that to keep small movements.
IFR is not possible.
Configuration of joystick is very complex, I can’t set a trim on the hat of my stick although it is not exotic at all.
I don’t speak about autopilots or tools…. Kudos to Asobo to have realized a great video quality, but so far it is not finished.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

Configuration of joystick is very complex, I can’t set a trim on the hat of my stick although it is not exotic at all.

I don’t know why that isn’t possible. I have buttons configured to adjust the trim, setting a hat to adjust trim shouldn’t be difficult; are you sure you’re looking at the right setting? Because there are multiple entries for (e.g.) elevator trim – one of which is for a slider type function, requiring a joystick axis to configure it. If you’ve selected that, you won’t be able to configure the hat for that, that stands to reason. So check you’re trying to configure the right function. Squirrel has a video on YouTube explaining how this can be done, in case you’re still stuck…..

EDL*, Germany

@Steve6443
Thanks for the detail about the VR release date.
I will wait until then to jump onboard.

I just fixed it as actually these button were not shown but you can retrieve them as they are called “subjective view button” and are not indicated in the visual.
This been said, here just a small video aver Cannes, I have to say all VFR visual point are very accurate.

(1080p on YT but I have 4k and it’s gorgeous).
But I just tested the King air 350, it’s a nightmare from an operative point of view, AP cannot engage and sync on HDG, trim is fantasist (need to pull to belly in order to takeoff at 110kn, empty and trim set) and globally the turbulences effect needs calibration.

I am probably expecting too much from such a “recent” software, but I feel FS2020 is definitely on arcade side of the sim game.
Here is xplane11 level, less eye candy but very accurate from cold start to IFR approach.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 20 Aug 09:44
LFMD, France

Vladimir wrote:

But very different from real flying with buttons, knobs, etc. VR is in my opinion not useful for real flying training e.g. IR test preparation.

For VFR, it feels very real, it’s perfect for cross country navigation. For pattern work, X-Plane has not enough detail/not enough performance, though FS2020 might change that. But when on final it works very well and you get a very good feel for the correct attitude and you can also work on your landings when the flight model is good enough. Of course it’s not the real thing but I would say a good virtual C172 flies very close to the real thing, at least closer than a C150 to a C172.

Buttons are of course something different because you have to look at them in order to locate them. However the VR controller I use has force feedback and that allows me for example to blindly operate a C172’s flap switch after I have it visually located because the force feedback allows me to feel the stops in the switch. Also operating a G530 works quite well so you could use it for IR test preparation if you goal is to learn for a specific plane. For general procedures i.e. for a theoretical exam, a simple instrument simulator on a tablet is probably enough.

EDQH, Germany

Just had my first hour logged. The graphics are fantastic, the aerodynamics are pretty good. I need to study the controls quite a bit. Still intend to use Xplane for the IFR workout…for now. I’d recommend this version of FS if you are into this. Looks like a big promotool for small GA, which is always good news.

EBST, Belgium

Here is a video I made right after I tried the sim for the first time.

The quality settings in the video are set to High-End and the refresh rate is smooth enough for me.

The Ultra setting also looks smooth but only in rural areas, overhead towns it lags a bit. However, the High-End setting is just as stunning.

Sorry for the weird aspect ratio, the screen resolution is 5120×1440.

So far I have only one complaint, and that is that not all buttons on the Xbox controller can be configured as I want them. I will try with the Saitek stuff later.

ESME, ESMS

It looks gorgeous. The rendering is obviously at another level compared to XPlane 11.
I use Mac and just for this I am considering having a PC

EDMB, Germany

Anyone considering upgrading their hardware, I’d recommend you look also at your controllers. Honeycomb Aeronautical have announced that their Bravo Throttle quadrant will be released in October; I’ve ordered mine….. I like the idea that the quadrant can be adopted for single engine piston, with or without constant speed propellor, to twin propellor, twin or even quad engine jet, including reverse thruster, trim wheel, autopilot control unit…..

EDL*, Germany

Tried to practice some IFR procedures and it seems at least in the cirrus SR22, the Garmin emulation is quite bad. Like keypad doesn’t work, couldn’t get Vectors To Final to work etc. too much removed from reality :(
hope they will improve it soon.

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message