Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

Jean wrote:

Any advice about a DA40 G1000 Lycoming for XPlane ?

I don’t think there is, but there is a nice DA62 by aerobask I think. I have been using it to help during my IRME. The only tink I don’t really like is that there is no NDB as it’s US based and there is no more NDB in the US. The only plane with NDB and G1000 I have found is the TBM900 by X-Aviation, but for the moment there can be some issues with the new 11.5 vulkan API, I had several crash – it’s a beta after all.

LFMD, France

I found this:
DA40-180 Diamond Star XP11
Works with RealSimGear G1000 suite.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

stevelup wrote:

Interesting going Intel – AMD are wiping the floor with them at the moment for price-vs-performance.

Maybe it’s getting cold in Belgium? Much better using your sim instead of electric heating elements

ESME, ESMS

My old laptop gave up just after Christmas, so I got myself a new one. A Lenovo Legion with 1 GB SD, RTX graphics and 17’ screen Perfect for work and flight simming (according to my personal specs ) My stick is a simple Thrustmaster with side twist for rudder. The side twist is a PIA sometimes, but OK for the occasional flight.

X-Plane runs like a charm, and DCS even better. DCS simply looks stunning compared with X-Plane. My problem with DCS is everything is too hard core. You have to do the start procedures exactly correct, and the weapons stuff I haven’t even touched. Thus, the only thing I fly on a somewhat “regular” basis in DCS is the Yak-52.

By the way, DCS is all free for a month now.

But, I “discovered” another sim a month or so back. It’s been around for ages, but completely redone a few years ago, also from Russia like DCS. It’s called IL-2 Sturmovik.
It became my favorite at once. The flight model is like nothing else, better than DCS. The planes simply behaves like real planes, both on the ground and in the air. The graphics is very good. Not as good as DCS, but better than X-Plane. But most importantly, the startup procedures are automated. It’s done exactly as the real thing, but automated. Quite funny to watch It’s 100% WWII though, warbirds.

My new Lenovo Legion runs all of them maxed out on graphics settings with 60+ fps. My order of things right now is:

• X-Plane: practicing N-VFR (the IFR part) and modelling/“testing” my Onex.
  • DCS: practicing aerobatics in the Yak-52 (They also have a Christen Eagle, but I prefer the Yak)
  • IL-2: Fun flying around shooting trains, trucks and planes, practicing stick and rudder and aerobatics at the same time. This sim is as good as it gets without actually flying for real IMO. Simply admiration of the geniuses who made this sim. It’s also actually very good for practicing basic N-VFR since the night is modeled very good. But it cannot be done with a modern glass cockpit.

Best flight model and overall flight feeling: IL-2, then DCS, then X-Plane
Best graphics: DCS, then IL-2, then X-Plane.
Most fun: IL-2, then i tie between DCS and X-plane, but it all depends on the mood.
Best for IFR: X-Plane (I guess), but DCS also has all kinds of avionics, also Garmin GPS’s, but haven’t tried any of it. IL2, not so much.
Best sim for GA: Impossible question, but X-plane has of course the whole world modeled and many good GA planes. It’s just that it’s not very good for basic VFR flying.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Going through this threads, I notice most of us aviation geeks also double as computer geeks.

ESMK, Sweden
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Who here is using VR for their Sim, if so, which units? I’ve recently bought an Occulus Quest and ordered the Oculus Link cable for it – but due to Covid, am still waiting for it to be delivered. I bought it after experiencing X Plane on an HTC Vive Cosmos and was pleasantly surprised how immersing it was, especially with Megascenery installed, I could really navigate visually via landmarks. I also have P3D 4.5 installed but yet to update to v5.

I’m currently stuck between deciding to upgrade my X Plane or P3D or waiting for Flight Simulator 2020. My PC should be powerful enough with i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, SSD to run the program from, GTX1060 with 6GB RAM but as no-one knows when 2020 will be released (2022???) so would like to hear what everyone else says here.

EDL*, Germany

@Steve6443

I use the Oculus Rift S with X-Plane 11 but I find it is very tiring after a while. I find using 3 old screens with full HD resolution for left, middle and right works better for me. I use two old iPad minis with these apps for instruments:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/simionic-g1000-pfd/id501990787
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/simionic-g1000-mfd/id827464105

ESME, ESMS

Steve6443 wrote:

Who here is using VR for their Sim, if so, which units?

I use Oculus Rift for aerobatic routines and a wide monitor with TrackIR for normal flying. Reason is that I can’t see the gauges/displays properly with Oculus. Too low res. It’s also not pleasant to wear for longer periods. I am very happy with TrackIR. It costs very little compared to VR and it’s a nice experience to look around using it. Much better than looking around with a mouse.

Last Edited by loco at 26 Apr 19:16
LPFR, Poland

Flying-wise 2020 has been a nightmare for me since it’s beginning. First, I couldn’t fly because the airplane was grounded due to parts not available. 6 weeks later the airplane was fine but weather was crap so almost all lessons got canceled and I decided to do sim flying if I couldn’t fly for another week. Then came Covid-19. So almost 25 years after wrecking dozens of Learjets on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier I’m finally back in the Cessna.

I have got X-Plane but didn’t like the setup with only one monitor because I could either see the whole panel or the horizon. I then bought an HTC Vive Pro which finally feels like the real deal. Judging distance and height from the runway works just like in reality and it feels much more real and stressful to grab the flap lever instead of simply pressing a button. Only problem is I don’t know what to do with that stupid red lever. I have never flown a real aircraft with such a thing.

Readability of gauges is mostly no problem but my PC is currently too slow for a nice scenery and a high resolution panel. I currently have a GTX 1060 but with only 3GB of VRAM also the rest of the machine is already a few years old. So then the spending began and I’m grounded again because of parts availability.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message