Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The £40k frozen ATPL (CPL/ME/IR)

Peter wrote:

Also IQ well above airline pilot average (PhD in science i.e. a real PhD).

This is a blue collar (despite the epaulettes) heavy machine operator job, applying SOPs :)

Am not suggesting there is a correlation, but it is not unusual for exceptionally well educated pilot candidates to struggle with the practical aspects of flying.

Also you will recall the Navier-Stokes fluid dynamics partial differential equations remain incomplete :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In this case PPL+ATPL theory+CBIR CPL/ME should yield the lowest cost.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 03 Feb 14:08
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

In this case PPL+ATPL theory+CBIR CPL/ME should yield the lowest cost.

Does this bring you to the same level as integrated ATPL (CPL/ME/IR + ATPL theory)?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The leading modular provider in the UK, and they have a good reputation, quotes between £64k and £89k which leaves you with a CPL/MEIR. This isn’t that much of a saving when compared to an integrated course, but perhaps offers some lifestyle flexibility. No overseas training, student can do the training while maintaining some kind of employment, etc.

The integrated course will provide a premium MCC/JOC/APS, typically logging a decent amount of relevant type full motion SIM, usually with TRI MCCI instructors. These longer MCC courses are not typically available on the modular route, and the MCC/JOC is an additional expense to the modular route. Where the MCC was a relatively straightforward introduction to multi crew, it has now evolved to an airline oriented competency based course with quite high standards.

The manufacturers are entering the zero-to-hero sector with Airbus leading, and therefore one might expect Boeing to follow.

While a £40k modular course might (doubt it myself) be devised with a gliding club background, and gaining an SEP/CPL/CBIR (with hour building initial IR in a lower cost country, requiring visa/licence conversion) before upgrading to an MEP/IR – it sounds like a bit of an obstacle course.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Does this bring you to the same level as integrated ATPL (CPL/ME/IR + ATPL theory)?

Yes. Had a CB IR course candidate who already had the th. ATPL exams done. Then CPL. Then ME IR.

always learning
LO__, Austria
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message