Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First time flying in USA (and going to the USA to do the FAA IR)

Re the zip code, this is a wider issue than avgas. Automated gas stations on the highway are the same, and just try buying cellular service online! However, the FBO’s, or retailers, zip code often works in this situation. Don’t know if this is true of random 5 digit numbers as well and have not tried cobbling up Euro postcodes to fit! As a visitor, I tend to avoid self service since I bathe in the luxury of FBO’s who drive up to your parking stop in the fuel truck before you’ve even opened the door!

I’d avoid the prepaid card because many of them tick down month by month and it’s easy to loose all your money to charges.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Hi all,

I have a question similar to the original topic

This autumn I can do a three month scholarship in Cleveland, Ohio. I will have to work hard so ‘free time’ will be limited to weekends and maybe one or two full weeks
Ohio is not a sunny state so weather is also a considerable factor.
I want to gain some USA flying experience. But since, on a long term, I want to add additional ratings (mainly IR) to my EASA PPL I am doubting on the strategy.
A few options:
1) Piggy back licence and just fly for fun
—> Am I correct if I say that you can not add FAA ratings (seaplane, IR, … to a piggy back licence)?
2) Get a full FAA PPL rapidly and try to get the FAA IR done (although time-wise this will be very difficult)
3) Other opinions?

Does anybody has good experience with flying schools/clubs in Cleveland?

EBKT, Belgium

I’d say – it depends. If this will be your only time flying in the US, then just go and get the piggyback license. If, OTOH, you plan to come to the US more often and / or want to get third-country validations (e.g. Australia, South Africa, etc, etc.) then I’d go for the standalone FAA ticket. It is a little more expensive to maintain (two medicals and the BFR), but IMHO a better choice in the long run.

That said, if you do plan to go the standalone route, be sure you get your visa and TSA situation sorted. I’m not up to speed on that, but I doubt that your scholarship visa covers flight training. In any case, you will have to go through the separate TSA vetting process.

There’s no real reason to do the ‘stand alone’ certificate. The 61.75 route is fully adequate and you can add on ratings the same as for any pilot certificate.

You will need to go through the TSA procedure though to add ratings in either case.

Make sure you get licence validation etc done in good time before applying for a 61.75 certificate. The FSDO will issue a temporary certificate on the spot if your application is in order. You will then need to complete a flight review before flying in command.

I’ve been flying in the US for 9 years on a 61.75. There’s no real hassle. I also have an ASES and IR on it with “US test passed”

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I’ll also add that to train for an IR or other rating, you must be on an appropriate visa. If you’re on a J visa, you won’t be authorised for anything outside your visa programme.

I’ve been flying in the US for 9 years on a 61.75. There’s no real hassle

What is the latest on if your European address changes, your EASA license number changes, etc? In the past, anybody in that situation either had to fly to the USA and get an FSDO to re-issue, or pay a fair chunk to one of the two US DPEs who have exclusive rights from the FAA to do this work here.

From later years, I have a vague recollection that the UK CAA was able to re-issue a 61.75 in such a case…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Address changes are simple. You can notify the FAA on line and no document re-issue is required if the FAA hold the correct address. You can search your own airman details on line to verify.

I did have to go through the change from JAA to EASA as the licence number changed. I did all that on an extended stay in the UK as it meant a current CAA medical to issue the new CPL and a new validation and a visit to the FSDO on my return. I’m hoping that brexit doesn’t cause any more changes to my ‘lifetime’ licence.

But all that was a lot less hassle than doing a private check ride in the US i.e. renting flying school aircraft and instructors, going through TSA candidate approval, paying for a DPE etc. Having a green card doesn’t grant any concessions either.

My comment about getting s standalone cert had more to do with long-term planning and, specifically, getting third-country validations. I’ve had my (bad) experience with the CAA there and the EU GDPR isn’t going to make things easier The FAA turn overseas validation requests around in three days.

Mark_1 wrote:

Having a green card doesn’t grant any concessions either.

Correct, you still have to jump through all the hoops.

I would say one of the biggest differences for a European pilot is the CTAF and non-towered airports… the US thankfully does not have some guy on the ground with whom you must make contact and which inhibits safety….you just self announce your intentions and if necessary directly coordinate with other aircraft… there is also often a Unicom if you want to ask about fuel etc.

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

You might consider joining AOPA USA. Members have great access to flight planning and weather briefing tools. Learn to use them before you go. Also the AOPA forums will give you access to pilots in your area. Posting there you would get lots of offers of help and advice. Although I must say the advice here has been really good and thorough.

Flying VFR in the US really is easier than in Europe and MUCH cheaper too.

Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message