Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First time flying in USA (and going to the USA to do the FAA IR)

Medres07 wrote:

@ Mark_1

You mentioned earlier that: ""I’ll also add that to train for an IR or other rating, you must be on an appropriate visa. If you’re on a J visa, you won’t be authorised for anything outside your visa programme.""

I was in contact with the University and I will be needing a J-1 visa. Does that mean that FAA IR training is impossible?

In Peter’s article the following was stated: ""There may be a way to do flight training under a J-1 visa (instead of the M-1 visa) which can be obtained without an I-20 (which you need for the M-1) but I didn’t continue the very slow correspondence with the US Embassy for long enough to find out""

Also I found this: ""However, it appears that a course which falls undr 18hours per week (which will obviously be true for this flight training course I intend to take) should be Visa exempt""

Which statement is (most)true? Could I just ‘try’ under the J-1 visa?

I think a few things are being mixed up. You can’t enter the US to take training without the appropriate visa. But if you are legally in the US on a visa, there is nothing to stop you getting a pilot’s licence. You are just doing it on your own time. You could also train to get a driver’s licence. You will of course need the AFSP approval before starting training.

EGTK Oxford

But if you are legally in the US on a visa, there is nothing to stop you getting a pilot’s licence.

Really? What you are saying Jason is that once you have entered the USA on a visa valid for the entry then you can do other stuff.

When I was doing this stuff it was always the case that you needed the M-1 visa if doing a course of study exceeding 18hrs per week, and most (not all) flight training would be more than 18hrs/week especially if including ground sessions.

There was much discussion around what the 18hrs meant, with various embassy chimps employees interpreting it on the fly, but the “18hrs” bit was in US law allright.

Has this been changed?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Really? What you are saying Jason is that once you have entered the USA on a visa valid for the entry then you can do other stuff.

When I was doing this stuff it was always the case that you needed the M-1 visa if doing a course of study exceeding 18hrs per week, and most (not all) flight training would be more than 18hrs/week especially if including ground sessions.

There was much discussion around what the 18hrs meant, with various embassy chimps employees interpreting it on the fly, but the “18hrs” bit was in US law allright.

Has this been changed?

I have specifically looked into this for an F-1 student visa holder (University). You have to notify SEVIS that you are doing a non-SEVIS course as well but so long as you comply with your SEVIS course you can do other stuff.

The only problem is entering on a B1/B2 tourist visa which still seems problematic. But if you enter to take a course (and do take that non-aviation course), I can’t see the issue.

I assume entering on a J visa and taking a course would be similar to an F.

If you are doing flying training in your spare time you wouldn’t be doing 18 hours a week on it.

Part 61 Flight Schools and Independent Flight Instructors. Part 61 flight schools and independent flight instructors may train a foreign national if that alien is a legal permanent resident or in a work status (H-type visa) with extended stay privileges or a refugee in asylum status with appropriate DHS documentation. They also may train a foreign national on an F-1 (academic visa) provided that the student is still enrolled and attending the college or university as shown on the F-1 and the student has notified SEVIS of the additional training being received at a non-SEVIS approved school.

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/alien-flight-training-program/visa-information

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Jul 13:04
EGTK Oxford

What about training under visa waiver programme (ESTA)?

The usual line of argument went along the lines of justifying that you will be doing less than 18hrs/week

I know a guy who did a whole FAA ATP out there, while on a full time holiday, in a Part 61 school, years ago… He did have pretty good persuasion skills though. The main difficulty with all these things was convincing the school (assuming they knew anything about the regs; not all were aware) that you were legal. Most of them would not want to get into the conversation unless you had the M-1.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Medres07 wrote:

I was in contact with the University and I will be needing a J-1 visa. Does that mean that FAA IR training is impossible?

I tried to do the IR while on a J1 and was officially told it would not be allowed. I didn’t pursue the matter as I knew I would be transitioning to H1B later and that would be no problem.
The official line is that training is restricted to that detailed in your visa programme and anything else would put you in violation.

I’d certainly make some enquiries before taking on any commitment.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

In two weeks I’m leaving for a three month scholarship in Cleveland.
The goal is to do just some VFR flying over there (no IFR training)

I got my foreign (Belgian) PPL licence certificated (a process that could take up to 90 days but was done in less than a week).

Now I wanted to schedule an appointment at the FSDO in Cleveland; but before I can do that I need to fill out a form from the FAA called ‘International Visitor Program for visiting FAA facility’ before I can make an appointment at the FSDO and according to the FAA officer at Cleveland whom I have been mailing with: "It may take a few weeks or a little more to complete the process so make sure you call ahead to verify that your visit is approved. Once it’s approved we can set up an appointment to get your US license.

Now a week has passed since I filled out the form and I did not receive any news.

Does anybody have any experience with this process and how long it could actually take?

EBKT, Belgium

If you have the faa verification letter instead of going to the fbo you could also use a flightschool that will supply the faa person (usually a DPE) to finish your verification and validation (takes 10 minutes and I paid 50$).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hi all,

I just wanted to get back to this topic to say I had a great time flying in the USA (while I was in Cleveland for a medical scholarship).
A few of my experiences:
- 1964 S35 V-tail Bonanza: what a blast of a plane; truly my new all time favorite
- 1948 Piper Cub PA11: low and slow over frozen rivers and snow covered Midwest forests, magnificent
- 1982 Piper Saratoga: flies like a brick; but plain and simple high performance six seater. Went to Niagara falls with this one!
- Right seat in a twin engine C340 charter flight to New York JFK
- And some Cessna’s (152, 172) and Pipers (Warrior and Archer)

I can really recommend the local flying school/club in Cleveland: www.tandgflying.com
They have 25 planes for rent, including many high performance and twin engine planes. Straight and simple rental requirements: if you can prove the 45 000+hr owner of the school you can fly the plane, you’re good to go (no minimum complex/retractable/… time). They don’t charge a ‘minimum rental time/day’ if you take the plane out on a trip.

So if you are looking for a flying adventure in the US, this might be a good place to rent!

EBKT, Belgium

Medres07 wrote:

They don’t charge a ‘minimum rental time/day’ if you take the plane out on a trip.

That’s nice. In the NYC area (where I go a couple times a year, a couple outfits actually charge you (e.g. a “platinum membership”) to be able to take the plane overnight!

Sign in to add your message