Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

Peter wrote:

It is easy at the PPL level. The SE to ME conversion, assuming reasonable pilot ability, is 5hrs.

As far as I remember, a PPL holder must have 70 hours PIC to start training for ME rating.

LCPH, Cyprus

5 hours plus 1 hour practical test…and then whatever common sense and insurance requires. US underwriters typically expect minimum 25 hours on type, which is not onerous and similar to Cirrus insurance requirements.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Valentin wrote:

As far as I remember, a PPL holder must have 70 hours PIC to start training for ME rating.

I’ve never heard that before. Others will know more.

If it’s the case then get the Cirrus.

EGLM & EGTN

I like the way this thread has shifted from the original question (what avionics) to the fundamental question of picking the right aircraft for a new pilot operating out of an island. Here my contribution:
Valentin you need to think about safety first and in your case it means dealing with engine issues over water.
I fully agree that it may be too risky to get a twin right away, but a twin is the only way you can eliminate the risk of ditching resulting from engine failure. My proposal is to make a plan that gets you in a twin as soon as reasonably possible:
Rent a DA40 with G1000 for 50-100 hours. The 40 is an extremely well designed airframe that will forgive virtually any mistake. Go for the TDI if possible.
Then buy a DA42 and train, train, train until single engine ops become second nature.
The DA42 has almost exactly the same cockpit as the 40, and its twin engine characteristics are much less of a challenge than in a conventional twin.
It runs on diesel and its range will let you go places with minimal rip-off stops due to refueling need.
The composite airframe is much better suited to island climates.
And back to your original question. Forget about steam gauges and get/train on the best avionics you can afford. Specifically GFC700.
This is your copilot in challenging conditions and you want to have a second nature relationship with it…
Hope this helps, happy flying…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Requirement of 70 hours PIC before the MEP is correct for single pilot licences.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Could you buy a DA42 when you get your PPL and fly with an FI in the RHS, while building up the 70hrs (or 65hrs?) and then log the official 5hr conversion time?

Otherwise, how is the ME CPL/IR done in the FTO environment? Do the ATPL students really rent a school plane for 70hrs and fly around?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FCL.725.A Theoretical knowledge and flight instruction for the issue of class and type ratings — aeroplanes
(a) Single-pilot multi-engine aeroplanes.
(2) The flight training course for a single-pilot multi-engine class or type rating shall include at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of dual flight instruction under normal conditions of multi-engine aeroplane operations, and not less than 3 hours 30 minutes of dual flight instruction in engine failure procedures and asymmetric flight techniques.

Sound more like 6 hours of dual to me… In addition to the 7 hrs of TK.

Then you also need to add another 10 hrs to prepare for the IR-ME skill test.

FCL.720.A Experience requirements and prerequisites for the issue of class or type ratings — aeroplanes
Unless otherwise determined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21, an applicant for a class or type rating shall comply with the following experience requirements and prerequisites for the issue of the relevant rating:
(a) Single-pilot multi-engine aeroplanes. An applicant for a first class or type rating on a single-pilot multi-engine aeroplane shall have completed at least 70 hours as PIC on aeroplanes.

Yes, 70 hrs PIC time required.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 24 Jul 07:36
LFPT, LFPN

Peter wrote:

Do the ATPL students really rent a school plane for 70hrs and fly around?

I believe they do rent the cheapest plane they can get their hands on and “fly around”

LFPT, LFPN

Flyingfish wrote:

Rent a DA40 with G1000 for 50-100 hours

I cannot rent a DA40 here. Cyprus is a small country with very limited GA. The only options to rent here at my school are PA28-140 and Cessna 152. However, their availability is low for they are used for training. That’s why I need my own aeroplane, and I need it soon. I cannot postpone buying an aircraft until I get enough experience to make a better choice or until I get my ME rating. More precisely, I could theoretically delay purchasing an aeroplane and rent from the school for a while but I believe I would get much less flying hours and experience this way.

LCPH, Cyprus

You could clock up 70hrs fairly quickly by doing trips to some Greek islands. Then from there pop up to Croatia which is really nice and easy to fly around with plenty of avgas and friendly airports. You could do it in a few months. I do 150hrs/year and fly only once a week on average, popping down to Croatia and Greece a few times a year. This is better than buying the “wrong” plane, for many reasons.

The planes you mention have little useful range for trips like this so you would need to rent something better. It should be possible to arrange that; you don’t need to rent from your local school. You would be surprised how many people who post about “their” planes are actually renting, often from someone who rarely if ever flies it. I have known pilots who rented TB20/SR22 types for years and almost nobody knew.

But if you really don’t want to go the DA42 route, and the cost is not a major issue, then since you are new to the ownership game I would strongly recommend buying a nice new plane with a warranty. That’s what I did in 2002.

Today’s options for relatively well Europe-supported products are obvious: A DA40 diesel, SR20 (not recommended; underpowered), SR22. Cessna and Piper still make some of their traditional models.

If you have a good maintenance setup then you could buy something used and that opens up the options, but also tends to open a can of worms.

The choice of individual avionics versus glass is a secondary thing. I would think all new planes will be glass now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message