Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

Valentin wrote:

Specs for Cessna T182T says 158 kts at 12500 ft and 594 nm range.

What specs? That is just marketing. Unless you want to fry your engine, plan on max 145 KTAS @14 gph and 725 NM range (and even 850 NM at 138 KTS) instead of 158 KTAS and 18 gph

Seriously, in your part of the world I would definitely not buy a high-performance Avgas burner. A diesel-powered (Jet A1) plane will open up so many more options.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 25 Jul 09:45
LFPT, LFPN

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Well, an SR22 with it’s speed and range will do nicely initially. From where you are and with the long overwater legs I guess it is a very good option due to the parashute. I don’t know if you are married but if so, you bet your wife will be VERY happy to hear of this feature and might get a lot more ready to share flights with you than without it. That is how Cirrus became the market leader.

SR22 will do it but… I don’t believe it’s a good option to fly at 25000 ft with family in a non-pressurized aircraft. So I’ll fly at 10000-12000 ft. What speed will I get from it at this altitude? About 170 kts. If we take the route suggested by Peter as an example, then it’s two legs: 630 nm and 580 nm. So it’s two legs of about 4 hours each. Plus time to refuel and pass the controls. And the plane has no toilet, and no launch served. And flying at 10000 ft, how much dependant on the weather will I be? I think a lot. So my dispatch rate will be low, especially in winter. Not an attractive option for travelling with the family.

LCPH, Cyprus

Aviathor wrote:

Seriously, in your part of the world I would definitely not buy a high-performance Avgas burner. A diesel-powered (Jet A1) plane will open up so many more options.

The only option is DA40, right? Isn’t it too hot under intense Mediterranean sun in its fully-glass canopy? One of the reasons why I preferred C182 is additional shade from its high wings.

LCPH, Cyprus

no launch served

Indeed; if you want a high despatch rate and comfort, get a TBM700 C2 They are cheap now, not much over $1M. Search the many previous threads on TBMs. That has a zero fuel range of about 1800nm. It will be in practice twice as fast as any piston plane and it flies in practice twice as high – above most weather. But you are a long way from being able to fly one, unless you “employ” a RHS pilot.

I think there might be a toilet option (there certainly is in the later TBMs) but – ask any bizjet pilot – it is only behind a curtain, so everybody can hear and smell everything. And then somebody (you!) has to clean it all up. You won’t get an externally serviced loo unless you go to something like a CJ4, and the servicing will be a few hundred € (admittedly for most owners of these that amount is below trivial). Below that level, you have to lift out the toilet and carry it out through the cabin, while holding your breath. It’s not bad if people only pee in there…

Back to pistons, one normally does fly at FL100 or so unless pressed higher by weather or terrain. The Alps are crossed mostly at FL140-160, with a few routes at FL180 (IFR; VFR you can go lower). The 25k ceiling of the SR22T is only for getting above weather. Oxygen for four, perhaps small kids, is quite a responsibility especially above FL200 where one must breathe very carefully and deliberately (I’ve been to FL210 in my TB20).

The only option is DA40, right?

It is the only diesel SEP in practical terms (there are some conversions, and maybe some new options which are best avoided in your location).

I looked at doing the JAA IR in 2011 at Kavala LGKV and the students were sweating like pigs in the DA40s and DA42s, but I don’t think a high wing is much better if you actually look at the window areas.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think there might be a toilet option but – ask any bizjet pilot – it is only behind a curtain, so everybody can hear and smell everything. And then somebody (you!) has to clean it all up.

Yes, I know. I think for legs under 3 hours it’s ok. So I need an intermediate stop to the Alps even in TBM. I could then fly to a small airport with no border control, however.

LCPH, Cyprus

Cyprus to N Italy is 4 and a bit hours in a TBM doing say 280kt TAS

This is much better and much safer than stopping just to keep the flight shorter.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I looked at doing the JAA IR in 2011 at Kavala LGKV and the students were sweating like pigs in the DA40s and DA42s, but I don’t think a high wing is much better if you actually look at the window areas.

C182 has big side windows that can be opened to provide ventilation. We struggle a lot in PA28 because it has only a tiny vent window. We open the door and keep it open until takeoff (and it has only one door!) and open it again right after the landing.

LCPH, Cyprus

What is your background, Valentin, in terms of education, occupation, technology interests?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This is much better and much safer than stopping just to keep the flight shorter.

Yes, if only everyone will be happy with 4+ hours flight without a toilet. I’m not sure. And the destination airfield must have border control facility.

LCPH, Cyprus

Peter wrote:

What is your background, Valentin, in terms of education, occupation, technology interests?

I’m a mathematician by my education and a software developer by my interests and occupation.

LCPH, Cyprus
Sign in to add your message