Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

Valentin wrote:

The only option is DA40, right?

You also have the Robin DR400 Ecoflyer or DR401. All new models are available with either the CD135 or CD155.

There are also CD135 or CD155 converted C172s, but those are older airframes, probably with old avionics.

There is a new aircraft by Diamond which was presented at AeroExpo last year; the DA50. This is powered by an air-cooled, 260 HP SMA diesel. They claim 1800 kg MTOW, 173 KTAS at MCP (probably 150 KTAS at some reasonable power setting) @FL140, and 1000 NM range. The SMA engine is AFAIK not very proven and the airplane does not have any track record.

The advantages of the diesels are

• Turbo – high operating ceiling and good climb rates throughout the altitude range
  • Long range thanks to low volumetric consumption
  • Easy engine management – SLPC, no need to keep the eyes peeled on the engine instruments
  • No cylinder cracking, burned exhaust valves, detonation, shock cooling…
  • Very good availability of fuel (Jet A1) except at small club airfields, and can even run on automotive diesel
  • 2200 hrs TBR/TBO
  • Very silent and vibration free
  • Easy to start even when hot
  • very low oil consumption
  • 100 hrs between oil changes/inspections
  • Lower rate of in-flight shutdown (IFSD) than Avgas engines

The drawbacks of diesel are:

• The most proven engines (CD and Austro) have relatively low power (135-170 HP)
  • There are fewer mechanics that are qualified to work on them
Last Edited by Aviathor at 25 Jul 16:55
LFPT, LFPN

Peter wrote:

You can’t ski in IMC or thick snow

LOL

Anyway, on a more serious note. It’s a bit symptomatic how all fresh PPLs have these grande dreams of bringing kids and wife along in a SEP. In 99 cases out of 100, that will never happen, not more than once. Wives like to have good seating, be treated nice with a drink and snacks, and have access to the Lounge at the airports. They like to travel in safety, in large aircraft with other people on board, piloted by professionals. Yes, there are exceptions, but they only prove the rule. They certainly don’t like to worry about if their their husband has had enough sleep, have eaten properly, and is generally fir for fight to bring her and her kids safe from A to B. Kids don’t care either way, if mom and dad are happy, they are happy.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s a bit symptomatic how all fresh PPLs have these grande dreams of bringing kids and wife along in a SEP. In 99 cases out of 100, that will never happen, not more than once. Wives like to have good seating, be treated nice with a drink and snacks, and have access to the Lounge at the airports. They like to travel in safety, in large aircraft with other people on board, piloted by professionals. Yes, there are exceptions, but they only prove the rule

I agree. That’s why I have dreams like that, but they are not plans. I do not expect my wife will fly with me long distances in a plane like Cirrus. Maybe just sometimes. Maybe she will do it in a turboprop. But I’m not sure. The whole experience of travelling from A to B in my plane (which includes a lot of variables) must be at least comparable to airlines (or better) to be a suitable way of travelling with the family.

Last Edited by Valentin at 25 Jul 17:49
LCPH, Cyprus

Have objectives, not dreams

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Have objectives, not dreams

My objective is to fly TBM or similar class aeroplane long distances. However, my objective is not making other people do something (my family to fly with me and enjoy it).

LCPH, Cyprus

I can think of a few examples where the Cessna 206, and more quaintly in a retro fashion, the Cessna 195 are used as family station wagons – although the typical leg is only 250-350nm, any further and the family passengers start to yearn for pressurised air conditioning comfort.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

It’s a bit symptomatic how all fresh PPLs have these grande dreams of bringing kids and wife along in a SEP.

To be fair, if you can afford a TBM and have the time to learn to fly it properly I think that dream is more achievable than for most. Also, there are some parts of the world where an aircraft still has utility value above public transport and I could imagine that Cyprus could be such a place.

Valentin, how flexible is your schedule? Can you leave for 3-4 days at a time? If not, one thing you could do is leave your plane on Crete, or near Rome, or wherever, and fly out on a long (or short) weekend to have fun. That is what I do (fly out Friday after work commercial from Moscow to Budapest, Vienna, Rome, or whoever I left the plane and fly back home Sunday evening). It sounds like you have the budget to afford that type of travel. My wife travels with me sometimes and likes rustic, scenic places (she used to be frightened of flying even in passenger jets, but has gotten over that). I wouldn’t recommend long flights over water from Cyprus to wherever. I would preposition the plane somewhere interesting and keep the first family trips under 60 minutes.

Cyprus really is way out in the Easterm Mediterranean for a SEP…. but if you can take off 4 days at a time, you could make it work. If not, I would recommend the prepositioning I suggested above.

Regarding plane choice, if it were me, I would pick a 182 and consider RG. Short grass strips are too important for me.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 25 Jul 18:56
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Valentin, how flexible is your schedule?

My schedule is flexible.

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

One thing you could do is leave your plane on Crete, or near Rome, or wherever, and fly out on a long (or short) weekend to have fun. That is what I do (fly out Friday after work commercial from Moscow to Budapest, Vienna, Rome, or whoever I left the plane and fly back home Sunday evening). It sounds like you have the budget to afford that type of travel.

I thought about something like this. If I don’t enjoy crossing big water every time, I could leave my plane somewhere and come next time to fly from there.

Last Edited by Valentin at 25 Jul 18:55
LCPH, Cyprus

If your schedule is flexible, learn on something like a 182, base it on Cyprus, have fun, and figure out what kind of flying you really like and whether your family is willing to play along. You might discover they hate it, but will let you leave the house a couple afternoons a week for aerobatics, or gliding, or wherever (all different planes). For grass strips in Italy, leave it there for a month or two, and fly out business class when you have time. What you save by not buying a turboprop, will pay for plent last minute commercial tickets!

Realistically, the learning curve for getting to the point where you are safe conducting IFR flights from Cyprus in an advanced plane is several years away, unless you dedicate your life solely to that task.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 25 Jul 19:07
Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message