Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

That’s how I learned it (exception being one instructor who insisted on the stall trumpet to play before touchdown). Vref 0/+5, reduce power in line with flare, touchdown, no stall warning needed.

always learning
LO__, Austria

JasonC wrote:

Where did I mention landing on the numbers?

I was just referring to what one gets freshly after PPL training on landing: “land on numbers”, “speed is king”, “can always save it with power” and “every landing is different”…

While these work a lot on training aircraft/environment but tends to fail you when on your own if you fly aircraft with high aerodynamics efficiency or weight inertia (I agree, 1.3*VS0 on a DA20 you float a lot while on a M20J you will cut across ground, so trying to spot land them from that speed is not a good idea)

I guess if you go turbines, unless it is military, power + attitude does not give instant performance, so one is less tempted to save landings

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have tried SR22 and DA-62. And now I see no reason for me not to buy an SR22. I don’t think it will be less safe for me than a Cessna 182. Rather the opposite may be true due to parachute and envelope protection.
As for DA-62, I don’t see why I may prefer it over SR22 (even in the future, I can’t fly it at the moment anyway). Pros and cons of DA-62 in comparison with SR22, in my opinion, are the following:

+ 2 engines (in case of engine failure)
+ Jet fuel (available everywhere and much cheaper)
+ 100 hours between inspections instead of 50
+ there is an authorised service centre in Cyprus (for Cirrus service I’ll probably need to fly to Greece)
+ weather radar
+ easier to load luggage such as big bags (luggage compartment door in Cirrus is very small)
+ engines are very quiet and easier to control due to a computerized control system
+ low fire risk in case of a crash due to aluminium fuel tanks

- two engines (need to obtain and maintain ME rating)
- no parachute
- maximum weight over 2000 kg – additional costs for IFR
- retractable gear (some complications and risks, additional maintenance)
- getting into fore seats is not so convenient
- much more expensive with all options

Most of the pros are quite minor IMO, and I don’t see how they can overweight the cons which are mostly quite substantial.

LCPH, Cyprus

I seriously don’t get this. You are looking for a bus to transport you across Europe and vast distances of water. Surely twin engines and Jet fuel trumps everything else. Besides, what’s wrong with the Da-42?

But why not let you heart decide? It’s scientifically proven than the heart decides in the end no matter what. (full screen and turn up the volume )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I seriously don’t get this. You are looking for a bus to transport you across Europe and vast distances of water. Surely twin engines and Jet fuel trumps everything else.

Two engines vs parachute are weighed about equally IMO (maybe with the chute being even slightly better for it saves in more situations). Jet fuel is nice to have but not a major point IMO.

LeSving wrote:

Besides, what’s wrong with the Da-42?

Is there anything where it’s better than DA-62. I believe it’s only the price (+ weight under 2000 kg).

LCPH, Cyprus

And another reason why DA-62 can’t win is that it’s only an option after I get ME rating. That is, in about a year. This means I’ll need to buy something else before that. Its pros are not enough to justify replacement of the plane. That is if I purchase SR22 now, there must be significant reasons to replace it by another plane in a year. Much more than when choosing between two planes to buy.

LCPH, Cyprus

I understand that would be a new Cirrus. 800k-ish?
If I were fresh PPL, I’d get a used DA40, fly up to 200h, sell it, get a used Jetprop and be in a different class for same money.

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

I understand that would be a new Cirrus. 800k-ish?
If I were fresh PPL, I’d get a used DA40, fly up to 200h, sell it, get a used Jetprop and be in a different class for same money.

That is good advice.

EGTK Oxford

Isn’t that what the cirrus market is about?

Cat A: just got my ppl and I want something safe and raliable for long touring now (even with no IR, I just pull the red lever to descend safely trough cloud)

Cat B: just got my ppl, want to build hours on PA28/DA40, get a ME and fly an Aztec/DA42 or simply go for SET Pilatus

Someone not yet decided = “young & poor”, I guess Cat B makes more sense, the rest is just a mixed bag and how early you want it?

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Sep 19:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Valentin wrote:

Is there anything where it’s better than DA-62.

Substantially more payload when MTOW is 1999 kg, also cheaper I guess.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message