Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

So the conclusion obviously is for Valentin to get a turbine, attend the next fly in and give extended rides to all to build up confidence and remain current in his new plane ;)
I can see a new record of fly in attendees ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

haha, just hope the real world attitudes are better than online forums ones, otherwise he will have a really bad day learning/de-learning all over the list…but he will get away with a valuable experience !

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Sep 13:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

I never had much going for this „stall type“ of landing and much prefer to fly the airplane onto the runway. I’m not flying a glider.
Some SEPs become really mushy on the controls during this pull pull pull stuff which leads to PIO which aggravates bounced landings.
Just fly the correct speed to the touchdown point, idle, flare, positive touchdown…no need for the sqeeeaaaling of the stall warning.

I could not disagree more.

Your idea is fine on a jet but totally unnecessary on a Single Engine aircraft. If you get PIO when landing you bneed more practice or instruction. Flying it into the ground may mask the aircraft handling issue but it leads to many nosewheel collapses.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

So on a 3km runway instead of flying over the threshold at the correct speed, flaring and touching down (and then gently lowering the nose wheel down) it is better to hold of the touchdown until the stall warning comes on?

always learning
LO__, Austria
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

So on a 3km runway instead of flying over the threshold at the correct speed, flaring and touching down (and then gently lowering the nose wheel down) it is better to hold of the touchdown until the stall warning comes on?

Surely it is safest to land at the slowest speed appropriate for the conditions?

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 Sep 22:33
EGTK Oxford

Absolutely. It’s why we have flaps. On a 3km runway I don’t see appropriate conditions prevalent that necessitate a full stall landing. There are many techniques circulating in the piston world. Fly a steep power off approach (reach runway in case of engine failure), pitch hard to arrest the descent, stall and touch..
In the Cirrus (and I say again I’m not a hightime Cirrus pilot) I prefer 3 degree approaches at Vs1,3, reduce power slowly over the threshold to be at idle at or shortly before touchdown. A controlled placement onto the runway feels better to me than extended flaring and waiting for the stall warning, though it happens too sometimes. Works for me. Flying/every landing is dynamic and sometimes even a power on landing is required. I suggest a separate thread for this discussion.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 11 Sep 02:10
always learning
LO__, Austria

Cirrus is a high performance plane sold to low performance pilots

I think discipline to make up for poor/dangerous handling does not equal performance. It takes some hours to “learn” discipline, but it is only what it is, and it brackets performance.
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Snoopy wrote:

In an SEP yes, I seen no reason not to
If the hold off is using a lot of runway then the speed is clearly not correct. If it isn’t what’s the downside? The benefit as JasonC says is to touch down at the lowest possible speed, reducing the chance of wheelbarrowing and making stopping easier.

But Snoopy, this is life, different people have different opinions, whatever floats your boat.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

You don’t have to stall it or touch down at the slowest speed all the time, in gusty/crosswind you may need to keep some 5% extra speed at touch down and stick a bit slightly forward as long as you don’t flare like a rocket it will not bounce and you are note borrowing the wheel that much, the advantage is longitudinal stability on touch down, but again you need 5% extra speed not 10%, 20%, not 33%….

A bit like tree point vs wheeler landing, in the first one you land stick “almost stalled/stick to stomach” in the second one you “stair-step your speed and stick slightly forward”, tough wheeler and spot landings don’t mix that much

But I am not convinced that the later is good for a nose wheel aircraft like Cirrus, I think she would like a 80%/20% of the mix

Regrading personal preferences, as long as you have the right mix [crabbing/side-slipping, wheeler/3 point, power on/idle] for the day, you should be ok

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message