Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Summer trip Portugal - Normandia - UK - Scotland - Ireland

Ola!

White Waltham EGLM is probably the nicest stop you can make in London. Grass is a bit bumpy, but I (and I think denopa) used to fly Arrows there with no issue whatsoever. It has a unique club feeling, with tables on the lawn next to the parked planes. Drinks go on too late sometimes!

I’ve found airspace in France (ex The big TMAs around Paris) no issue, especially if you fly high. The info frequencies are very good (especially compared to the UK), and they’ll take care of everything for you. If you are routing east of Paris, it should all be very straightforward. Avoid Biarritz though!

Le Touquet LFAT is probably a much nicer stop than Calais LFAC. The approach is near the beach, and you can rent bicycles on the airfield and cycle through the woods into town (if in the summer, call a day or 2 in advance to reserve a bike). You could also buy a Fold up (I take my Brompton on a lot of trips), and do a little of cycling after the flying. The bike could quickly pay itself over!

You might want to stop in the channel islands (Jersey / Guernsey / Alderney) as I believe they have very cheap Avgas. I think they are also nice stops per se.

I would order a TOTAL card. The TOTAL card makes fuel cheaper (at least in France), and gives you access to self-service machines (useful on weekends / night). Your life will be much easier. In france, you can use most of the airfields H24 (but often you need to call them on the day to have the PCL turned on). On your order, put a low declared fuel usage as I believe your deposit might be smaller.

Depending on how quickly you intend to fly London → Portugal, there is a small chance I could tag along if you have a spare seat and want company (and French, in case you don’t speak it).

Jujupilote wrote:

French areas are less complex that they appear. Getting cleared through Class D or C is not an issue. In G, FiS gives good service except when overloaded (Paris Info mainly). Foreigners also get a better service because they don’t know the local habits.
Why do you chose LFBP and LFBT in Southwest France ? This area is nice but others are too. Reims LFQA is a beatiful town with a friendly airfield, just for an exemple.
Do you have an app for this trip ? I wouldn’t try a trip this long with family without SD or a similar one. I makes flights a lot less stressful

Just want to ‘smell’ the mountains. I have already landed at LFBA and I liked it.

What I see in French airspace is a huge number of controlled areas i.e. mostly all the west coast is restricted till FL195, is it effective or can one fly along the shore line, lets say 5,000 ft?

LPSR, Portugal

First of all thanks a lot for all the inputs, I am still processing it but it as been really helpful.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Unless I missed something, there’s no reason you should have to go around C & D airspace. You do carry radio and transponder, don’t you?

My airplane is IFR equipped, what I dislike is the constant transition from G to controlled airspace and back. I know, IFR is the solution but still in process.

Qu

Alex_ wrote:

Unless I’m missing something I don’t think you will get a slot at EGLL that’s Heathrow!
Why not try EGKA Shoreham and get the train to London in around 1hr

That was a mistake. I am on vacations not trying to make my life miserable. I do have experience with large international airports, ok, nothing probably compares in Europe with London TMA, but I want to enjoy what GA as to offer, small aerodromes, friendly people, and stress free (as far as possible) situations.

Peter, thanks for the article, made look forward even more.

Based on the suggestions I am redoing the planning, even trying to be less ambitious. It is not my first long trip but my first with the kids.

Last Edited by lmsl1967 at 15 Jan 08:29
LPSR, Portugal

French areas are less complex that they appear. Getting cleared through Class D or C is not an issue. In G, FiS gives good service except when overloaded (Paris Info mainly). Foreigners also get a better service because they don’t know the local habits.
Why do you chose LFBP and LFBT in Southwest France ? This area is nice but others are too. Reims LFQA is a beatiful town with a friendly airfield, just for an exemple.

Do you have an app for this trip ? I wouldn’t try a trip this long with family without SD or a similar one. I makes flights a lot less stressful.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 15 Jan 07:11
LFOU, France

Yes, I have to agree. The chart of south-east England does look a bit like a 4-dimensional crazy paving inspired by Fernand Léger and Pablo Picasso.

But here’s the trick: all a VFR pilot needs to escape the attention of the British Luftsicherheitshauptampt is an array of smartphones and tablets running half a dozen moving-map and airspace-alert “apps”. Then, with transponder disabled and eyes firmly glued to the screens, he can navigate without a care in the world. Our friends at the CAA call it “see and avoid”.

Last Edited by Jacko at 14 Jan 22:40
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The worst ever airspace in Europe is probably in the area of Belgium, and Italy. The UK is easy enough if you read the map (and check enroute notams). It is much more transparent than most I have flown in. ATS services are something else, but that’s a different debate, and you don’t need ATC to fly a plane

However with the modern tablet moving map apps, none of this is a big problem like it used to be. But you still have to fly low in some places. In much of the London area you have to fly below 2500ft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Fair comment, but it does rather depend on what you call “low”, and/or whether you consider Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Norfolk, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and all of the other “s***hole counties” north of Manchester to be part of the UK.

Ha! I was waiting for @Jacko to come back with a comment like that !! OK, for the avoidance of doubt: English airspace (and here mostly the southern bit) is the worst I’ve ever encountered. Happy??

The UK, on the other hand, has the worst airspace I’ve ever encountered, unless you fly really low.

Fair comment, but it does rather depend on what you call “low”, and/or whether you consider Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Norfolk, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and all of the other “s***hole counties” north of Manchester to be part of the UK.

Around here (Galloway), we run out of Class G airspace at FL245. However, that’s not as much of a nuisance as it sounds because above that is Class C to FL660, and I’ve never heard a C172 being refused a transit at that level.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Unless I’m missing something I don’t think you will get a slot at EGLL that’s Heathrow!

Why not try EGKA Shoreham and get the train to London in around 1hr

Last Edited by Alex_ at 14 Jan 20:38
Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

lmsl1967 wrote:

EGNS – EIME
EIME – EGJJ

Unless you have military business or state connections, EIME is out. They don’t accept any civil traffic. EIWT Weston is your best bet and is right beside EIME. EIWT is the GA airfield for Dublin.

I too would encourage you to go to the west coast of Scotland. Around Skye is beautiful.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message